Fight

Presley

Kaylee came out of surgery but hadn't woken up yet. I went to the hospital to visit her. Her dad stayed with her and looked like he hadn't slept.

"I'm waiting for Kaylee to wake up," the Chief said.

"She'll wake up," I said, sitting down in a chair.

"I promised Kaylee's mom I would protect her. I failed," the Chief whispered.

"No, you didn't," I replied. The Chief looked at me. "Kaylee fought."

"That's David is influence. He taught her to fight," the Chief told me.

We heard sounds coming from Kaylee. "Presley," Kaylee called out to me.

I got up and held her hand. "I'm here," I assured Kaylee. Kaylee gripped my hand as she opened one eye. The other eye swollen shut because of her cheek and bruising.

"I fought," Kaylee told me.

"Yeah, you did," I said, smiling.

The Chief stood up and leaned over the bed.

"Dad," Kaylee mumbled.

"I'm here, sweetheart," the Chief said, stroking her head.

"I fought, Dad, just like David taught me," Kaylee mumbled.

"Yes, you did," the Chief said.

I looked at Kaylee as she looked at me. My girl fought and won.

A few days later, Kaylee was sitting up in bed, sipping a drink through a straw. I walked in with flowers, setting them on the table next to her hospital bed. I looked around the room to see a ton of flowers.

"Secret admirer?" I asked, gesturing at the flowers.

"The crew brought them along with your family and my dad. I feel like I'm in a flower shop," Kaylee murmured.

I chuckled. I leaned over and kissed the top of Kaylee's head. Then I sat down in a chair.

"I had to kick my dad out so he could get some sleep. He looked rough," Kaylee told me.

"He worried about you," I mentioned.

"The situation scared the hell out of me," Kaylee said, sipping her drink.

"You seem casual about it," I mentioned.

Kaylee set her drink down and looked at me. "I'm a tough cookie and want to rip his nuts off," she said, with a look.

"Well, I took care of the dick and beat the hell out of him. My cousins are working on getting statements from the prior victims. My cousin Jaime is working on getting the lawsuit dropped," I told Kaylee.

"Martinez raped Eliza," Kaylee said.

"Yeah, I know," I replied.

"I'm sorry. I know things are a mess now," Kaylee commented.

"It's good to know the truth. Maybe Eliza can rest in peace," I responded.

"The police came to question me about what happened. I gave the police my statement. I don't want this to happen to another woman. Hathaway is also making a statement," Kaylee informed me.

"I'll back you all the way," I said, holding her hand. Kaylee gave me a slight smile.

It was a start.

Marshall

Brody and I went into City Hall, and a woman stood up. We showed our badges and the warrant. We walked past her and entered the Mayor's office with people in it. The Mayor stood up.