Testing

Presley

We showed up at the station for a substantial portion of our testing. Caleb made us dress in full gear and go through different scenarios. The physical part of the test is the most difficult. I remember the first time I did it.

"Gray! You're up!" Caleb announced. He blew a whistle, and I had to move fast with the hose along with searching for a person. I ran up flights, dropped the tube, then grabbed an ax while carrying my medical gear.

I went to a door, felt it, then used the ax to bust open the door. Caleb made sure the electricity was off, and a smoke machine blew smoke into a building. He wanted it as realistic as possible.

"Gray!" Kaylee yelled.

I didn't turn as I continued. "What are you doing?" I yelled.

"I'm having your back! We're partners!" Kaylee yelled.

We made our way through the building, checking until we found the person. I lifted and carried them back as Kaylee followed. When we exited the building, we got to work, performing our routine check until the body signaled they were alive.

"Lindsey and Cass, you're up!" Caleb announced as Cass groaned. Kaylee and I laughed. Cass needs to lay off the donuts.

We went downstairs and removed our gear. I looked at Kaylee and shook my head.

"What?" Kaylee asked.

"You can't run after me all the time," I answered.

"I know, but an excellent partner doesn't leave the other partner behind," Kaylee reminded me.

I pulled off my boots. "So, I was thinking of seeing a movie later," I mentioned.

"A movie sounds good. We aren't having date crashers, are we?" Kaylee asked, referring to my family.

"No, they went home, thank god," I said, making Kaylee laugh.

We hung up our gear and went back upstairs, watching others do the physical portion of the test. It's hilarious to watch the crew retest since they hadn't done in a while. I thought Caleb's vein would pop out of his forehead.

"Christ, we're never finishing at this rate. All right, that's enough for today. Tomorrow we pick up again," Caleb told everyone.

"Hayes and Gray, I want to see you in my office," Caleb told Kaylee and me. We looked at each other and followed Caleb to the office. Usually, when the chief yelled to see me, it was never pleasant.

We walked in, and Caleb gestured to two chairs. "Take a seat," Caleb said to us.

We sat down as he opened a folder.

"I reviewed your testing from other stations along with your school grades," Caleb mentioned, closing the file. He looked at Kaylee. "I sent Gray into a burning building to rescue someone, then watched you gear up and join him. Why?"

"Because when you are partners, you cover each other and have your partner's back. It's about trust and knowing you can depend on them," Kaylee answered.

Caleb looked at Kaylee. "I like that you didn't hesitate to jump in and help Gray, but understand that sometimes you need to stay back," Caleb explained.

"Yes, Captain," Kaylee agreed.

Caleb looked at me. "Did you look and notice Kaylee following you?" He asked me.

"No, not until Hayes yelled, but I kept looking forward," I answered.

"Why?" Caleb asked.

"Because the person trapped is my priority. I'm there to rescue and treat them. My partner knows that," I replied.