Chapter 7

Madonna was pacing in her chamber like an anxious bird fraught to reach its nest by sunset. Although she was the one who laid the trap, she was stricken with panic every moment of its consequence.

She knew whom she was associating with and they had worked for far too many years to let them see the face of disappointment.

Aiken's death would be marked as a huge objective that would lead them purpose eventually. It just depends on Alder Emor now to see whether he choose his desperation or his sense because for one, Alder was never an easy man to fool.

"Alder proposed his son to wed me." Madonna said as she stopped pacing and took a gulp of her ale. Madonna knew it, knew that Alder was no fool to just arbitrarily propose his dear son's matrimony to a Witch like her.

There must be something. There was certainly something going about in the older Emor's mind.

Madonna arched her head and glanced at Orla who was frozen in deep thoughts. Orla had not touched her ale nor her sweet drink, her fingers were drumming on the board as she reeled closely at whatever Madonna had informed.

"I do not believe that Alder wanted you to wed Lucius just to have you as an ally. However, a wedding as such shall be advantageous to us." Orla spoke slowly as the concocting older Witch was deriving another of her games.

She wants the Emors' to out of her way and she would do just that no matter how dangerous that game was.

"Your son would not live a day if I were to be his wife, do you not remember the curse?" Orla's lips curved into a conceited smile that Madonna was too familiar with.

"Then let him. You would make a beautiful widow." Orla shrugged as she rotated the outsized blue stone ring around her finger.

Orla smiled at the young Witch in amusement as Madonna tried to conceal her surprise. Madonna has her faith in her and she knew one day she would beyond doubt understand the motive behind every decision she had taken.

Orla sighed as she thought she had yet to teach Madonna many a things. Magic and manipulation was one thing but there were far many aspects that Madonna has to learn to become one of the greatest Witches of all time.

"Deem it a hunch, but I have an inkling that we are being played by someone unidentified." Madonna voiced out as she ignored Orla's previous statement.

"You should wed my dear son, Madonna." Orla was adamant in getting what she wanted by whatever way it was and if a nuptial bond between Lucius and Madonna was essential, so be it.

Madonna sighed as her guardian brushed off her worry and brought her back to the ominous subject in hand. Madonna was not ready for marriage especially not with the charming Lord.

"You like Lucius, do you?" Orla's eyes examined her as she merely stated what she felt.

"Nah." Madonna's response was too quick and breathy. She indeed liked the Lord, besides, she enjoyed to taunting him.

"In that case, we can happily wait for the impending wedding. Answering to your previous concern, I had already informed you that we are only a part of the play, Madonna; except, we are trying to take reigns of it when the other players falter any time."

Madonna nodded calmly and breathed out harshly as her eyes are fighting the exhaustion that was pressing over her. She was exhausted further after consuming the Lord's energy.

"I am positive Alder will not blindly kill an unsuspecting human just so he could get the niceties on you. He would never, so I have something in my mind." Madonna articulated.