Chapter 38

Alder was nearby the place that was used for the trap. He and his general had personally chosen two of the Faes, a wolfman and two ogres to be a part of baiting.

The members they chose were a part of the troop where they could use finest of the magic and could possibly catch the assassins.

While the chosen are commanded to make fire near the cave and have a small festive among themselves, the other strong members of the troops were nearby in the shadows prepared to attack the assassins.

Alder was waiting in the shadows as well with an cloak of invisibility wrapped around him to be clear off the sight of unnecessary.

If anyone would look at it, it would just look like few good friends are enjoying festive with ale and fire near a cave in the woods. It displayed a happy ambiance, only it wasn't.

They were counting the passing moments with fingers as the night befell in a hurry pace. It was the fourth night that they were making a trap. Alder knew that whoever the foe was, was a clever person and so does his followers. They wouldn't fall in their trap just on the first try so Alder's general had suggested to try for several days and nights in different places so it would look unsuspicious.

Over the past four days and nights nothing had happened. There were no usual attacks on the weak members as well. It was as if they were planning something big.

Alder was having a head ache thinking of the sleepless nights he had been spending from the past days. Now that it had come to it and the people behind him and his motives were slowly raising in their power, he was slightly getting anxious.

He had to catch them no matter what. He had to make certain he loose no more his men before the dark moon night is over.

"General, what might be happening in the other ambush we laid?" Alder asked in a commanding voice as his eyes scrutinized over the area.

Everything was fine in the place they were standing which led him to wonder why there was no attack on any of his men yet.

"There was naught a wrong, Milord. Everything was just smooth and fine." Alder nodded to the report from his general as he pondered over the reasons behind lack of attacks from few days.

Why were they not attacking his people? If not there, then they should've attack any other of their lures.

"Something is not right, General. Something is not at all right." Alder stated after a while of pondering on the issues. "There should be another motive behind silence and I have a feeling that they are brewing a great storm in this time of peacefulness."

No, they should be attacking then why aren't they? There was something wrong and he cannot risk any of his army. His army was his shield and people at his disposal; without them, he would be vulnerable.

"I'm afraid I am unable to follow your thoughts, Milord. Every of our people are fine then what made you suspicious of the situation?" Just as General had expressed his inability to see what his master was suspicious of, the chief of the west troop appeared in a hurry to them.

"Milord," The chief exclaimed as he took a lung full of air. "The whole of the west troop is under an attack as we speak. I just got a missive from one of the witches messenger." He said startling both Alder and General.

He knew it. He knew something was not just right.

"West troop?" The General asked in a surprise manner due to the reason that the west troop is a group of weaklings of the army. Why would they prefer eliminating a weak group rather than going for strong ones?

"They travelled to the town of Shadowvalor just to take down a weak group?" General continued wondering over his own words.

"General, call back all the ambush groups and send them to the west troop." Alder ordered as he walked towards his horse in a hurry.