Chapter 37

Orla took cautious steps behind Alder. The warning in the air was not be ignored. She could feel the bothering thumps of her heart as she followed Alder to only divine being knows where.

Was she fearful? Absolutely not.

However, she was careful. She knew of the invisible watchful eyes that were following her. It was her occasion to learn more of Alder and his intents.

There were walking through the jagged rows of trees near the town river that was just by the outskirts of town. It was still bright evening with sun slightly past over the head.

Orla was still disturbed by Lord Xander's theory of Alder using someone else as a puppet for power. But who?

It can't be her seeing Alder had always been a meticulous person. It can't be that he trusted her completely.

That was unlikely!

"I am ever so happy to have you back, my darling" Alder expressed with an unmistakable pleasant wrinkle on his face. She could tell that he was indeed pleased by her presence however she knew the motive behind the delight.

Orla smiled back at him and looked into his eyes with a show of sincerity that she had perfected pretense over years.

"I could not apologize you much earlier of my unnoticed escapade eons ago, Milord. It was wrong of me." Alder smiled at her as the crease of guilt and sadness took over her forehead.

"It was a necessary of the time. You left to protect those whom you love, dear. I do not blame for that although somehow your kind heart of helping those in need had killed our dear daughter." Both of them fell in a momentum of silence before returning back on their walk.

Both of them did not talk for awhile, both in their own thoughts.

Alder faltered on his steps as the thought of the upcoming ritual crossed his mind. It was a night of importance to him yet, it was feral even to him if something went wrong.

He was urging those under him to hurry the tasks related to the dark moon ritual. Everything was going just good but how was he to say the purpose of the festival to Orla?

She was one of the main people, one of the main rung of the ladder for him to reach above.

They reached manor where Alder held the secretive meetings with his members. It looked old and unused from the outside, covered by large trees around. The manor was well shielded by wilderness.

"Are you perhaps killing me in such a forsaken establishment away from the watchful eyes, Milord?" Orla jested lightly to which Alder grinned.

"Perhaps, my dear." He jested back in a teasing manner gaining a wiggling eyebrow from Orla. The manor looked quite old from inside out, not to forget it was a smaller establishment perhaps used for the storage of weapons in the older times.

Alder lead Orla through the dim lit hallways as the faint voices were heard from the inside. They walked quietly until they reached the large doors of a chamber where the voices were coming from.

"Milord" People hollered in a polite manner. The attendants of the meeting stood up with their hands to their front in a submissive manner.

The hall fell quiet in a matter of moments as they entered. Everyone present there were looking at her with inquisitive eyes. Orla, on the other hand, followed Alder with her head held high; pride and power both clear in her eyes and stance.

Her posture was close to a warning that told people to uphold themselves if they were to stay alive.

She crossed the long column of chairs and headed to the head of the table where two chairs were placed which Orla was certain it was for her and Alder.