Chapter 14

"What do you imply by that?" Madonna's heart was filled with dread as she put forth her hesitation before the man who was carrying her in his arms as though she was a burden of some sort.

To Madonna, Lucius was that part of puzzle that is layered infinitely. She could not make up her mind on what kind of a person he was. He was humble one moment but the next she met him, he was rude. Sometimes, he was conniving while the other times he was pretentious as though he was blindly following her rules.

Madonna could not believe what Lucius was. She had had her uncertainties on his knowledge on the whole scenario talking place from decades. Certainly he was not that naïve to not notice what was happening essentially.

But then again, what was it that he meant by his previous revelation?

Does it imply he knew about his father's adventure in search of his mother?

"Nothing Milady. Nothing at all." Lucius mocked as he tossed her an offhand smile. Madonna narrowed her eyes when the suspicion inside her was mounting up. "You have an appearance of a twig but weigh a mountain, Milady. How do you do it? Every time I think of you something, you come to be something else."

He was having amusement of his own and she could clearly see it in his glowing face. It was at her expense.

How dare he jest about her weight! Certainly, she could not weigh so much, could she?

Or was he averting her attention from what they were preciously talking about?

Madonna kept mum when she saw how her husband was enjoying while mocking her. She went back to being silent again but the depth of Lucius knowledge on Emor household affairs was still running in her mind.

If he knew about Alder's expedition with Knox, why was he still? Why did he not stop his father from going?

Lucius knew his father was in no position to defend himself from a powerful Witch like Orla if at all Orla was to attack him. If he had thought about it and knew it, then the question that puzzled her was the motive behind him keeping quite.

To Madonna, she and Orla are one of those dangerous people who are after Alder's life. Now that she was looking at Lucius' relaxed pose, she was thinking otherwise.

Does Lucius know what hostility she and his mother harbor for Alder and wanted them to do just what they had concocted for?

"Why did Alys curse you?" This time, Lucius was somber. He was back to his Lord façade as he wondered over the relation between his wife and his sister.

Lucius struggled to keep the woman in his arms for a long time. He groaned as he adjusted her in his arms over and over again as he felt the numbing ache.

One think he was very proud of himself was his strength. He has a body made of hard rocks and as a part of his work out curriculum; he would lift up heaviest rocks in the nearby mountains and train his body.

But something about his wife was much tougher than the heaviest rocks he used. No argument can be reared if he said that his wife is a living person with heart, mind and body, worse than a rock. She was back to being silent when it was her turn to answer him. Such stubborn woman he had the privilege to marry.

The walk through the green lands was long and monotonous. There was a small talk between them but later own, both Lucius and Madonna fell into silence as they were occupied with their own thoughts.

Somewhere at the end of the first maze, Madonna had tried to trouble Lucius into putting her down so they could not get past the maze but Lucius had made certain that the stubborn woman in his arms shall only touch the ground when the green fields passed behind.