Chapter 13

Alder stood by the small windowpane and was gazing into the dark moonless night. The tavern was full and they were fortunate to have a bedchamber at the last moment but that did not lessen his fretfulness.

He was having a very bad feeling. A feeling of something bad going to happen but he could not decide what it could be.

If it was the Alder from years ago, he would have flicked his fingers and in moments he would know what all he wanted to. But years later when his magic has lost its strength and he was vulnerable to the situations, he could not help but fret over what to come.

Knox was not to be trusted again. He was one of the causes he lost good part of his magic. Knox had not just killed his dear daughter but also sinned by his hands making Alder be the victim of all the erroneous events.

He regretted not giving the details of his wife, son and daughter to Knox Garrick. If he had not kept them away from his knowledge, then most of what happened had not happened ever.

But then again, Alder was resolute to get back what he lost again. He had higher motives and he was working for them from years, several years without rest. Just when everything was falling in right place, the downfall of him has begun.

Alder gave a brief glance at Knox who was hissing in pain and just sneered at his condition. If Knox hadn't had come to him with the details of Orla's whereabouts then he would had killed him without a blink. But at the moment, he was in need of Knox's assistance.

He needs to find Orla and by the looks of it, Knox was fraught to find her and get a cure for his sufferings.

"I'm stumped by the fact that you haven't done anything yet to retrieve what you had lost, My Lord." Knox spoke stealthily, with an expectation he would get a response.

Knox knew he was walking on thin ice as long as he was with his then previous friend. He knew he was playing with the fire, not just a usual fire but a fire from the very hell and yet he had no other way than to do so.

"I am ever so grateful to you for that, my friend. You had made certain to make me so weak for anything to be ever made." Alder mocked furiously as he gritted his teeth to let Knox know how disappointed and upset he was.

"Then your son –"

"He does not come in this yet. He was and is always my last resort. Also I am not in any place to go forward with it. In the end I still need the least of my powers to have Lucius give me what he ought to." Knox nodded thoughtful of Alder's sudden importance in meeting his missing wife.

Orla was the key. Only she could get back what Alder had lost. However what Knox could not comprehend was, will she?

The cause behind Orla's disappearance from Emor family decades ago was still a mystery; not to forget, she now holds the light to what Alder was striving for.

Knox did not know if Alder had thought about it or not but Knox was suspicious regarding the whole stage behind Orla's disappearance.

A strong-willed, best of the Witches, Orla had to run away from her family, why? And the downfall of Alder had started only after his wife's departure.

Is everything related? Can Witch Orla be a cause of it?

Why does Knox feel that there is more to what is really happening? Should Knox express his suspicion to Alder? Will he believe him or regard his say?

Alder was no fool then why did he not think about such a possibility?

"Will Witch Orla aid you as you desire?" Knox put forth his hesitation as he directed his attention to the old Lord. Knox was not completely certain that the Witch would ever help the Lord.