Chapter 43

"I am afraid I did not understand you, Milord." Madonna stated politely but a cyclone of annoyance and hatred was brewing inside her.

She had never hated – nay – despised a person more than Alder. She absolutely loathed him.

"Simple dear, I wished for you put a memory spell on yourself so you could not remember anything after my task here is accomplished." Madonna quietly looked around the dungeons they were walking through as she contemplated over his bizarre request.

He wanted her to help him with her magic while he narrated the past to supposedly her sister and he wanted Madonna to forget all the evil he had done.

Madonna knew they were in the Queen of crows castle. She was baffled first but as they were going through the long lanes of dungeons, she could feel her sister's energy. Although it was faint, she could feel the same energy she got from their mother.

That was how Madonna confirmed that Fina was under Crow highness' keeping.

What she was perplexed about was rather, why Alder would take her if he was to reveal the evil things he had done with her kin to Fina.

Was he not frightened of spoiling his innocence before her?

Tricking a memory spell was not a tough issue, she could simply do that without lifting a hand but there was something that she possibly could not do.

If she was to be there and to hear how he slaughtered her kin and how in the name of devil did he manage to coerce her mother to conceive Fina, she could not bear it.

She would go mad if she heard any of the atrocities that her sweet mother had to go through cause of the evil greedy man.

She might as well kill him without a second thought.

"If it was to be a secret, then I can as well be out of it rather prying my nose into it, Milord." Madonna spoke in a nonchalant manner showing none of her vulnerability in her tone.

"Ah but I do want you to be there, dear. It shall be better and effective if we have the sorceress in the same place, don't we?" His words confirmed Madonna's qualms.

He was testing her.

He must have had his doubts on her and apparently he wanted to see how she would react when he narrated the horrible past events to her sister before her.

He was testing her with both the past details and with her sister. He wanted to see if she had any thing that could connect her with either of them.

Madonna felt trapped.

She could neither hear those atrocities from the past nor could see him abusing her dear sister. He wanted her to affirm the doubts he had on her.

However he had such thoughts of Madonna even being related to Fina or the Thorne family, she did not know but right that moment, she was evidently trapped.

Alder lead Madonna to the end of the tunnel and opened the last room. As Madonna followed Alder with a pounding heart, she was stunned to see her dear Fina was dirty and pale as she was asleep on the cold tiles of the chamber.

She had to gulp down her and pray to all the deities she knew of and to her mother and father to give her the strength to not lash out on what she was seeing and what she might hear.

"This little lady here is a Phoenix who shall be giving my purpose a new path tonight." Alder turned to say as he eyed Madonna closely.

All he got was a scoff and a raise of a brow as Madonna looked at Fina as she scrunched her nose in disgust.