Chapter 42

Something was not adding up.

Alder was convinced that the backstabbing person was from his own warriors as he believed that Lucius did reason out well.

It was naught to hide but Alder was indeed suspicious of Lucius. Although Lucius had been doing the tasks that entitled with his position as a Lord; although he found everything just fit with him, Alder was still suspicious of Lucius's passive routine.

"Are we certain that he has been occupied with his duties?" Alder asked as he rubbed his stubble wrinkly chin in thoughts.

He saw the Lord of walking dead nod his head in positive and shook his head in a turmoil going on in his head.

"He was occupied with few land tribulations that the Windcliff town was facing. He had also ordered his butler, Devon, to look into the issues of Lycanthropes as per the complaints given by few human villagers. Other than that, he was not mingled in any other work, Milord."

Alder heard attentively as he mulled over the dark shadows of suspicion he was getting from Lucius.

If Lucius really knew something secretive about him and was truly against him, then he shall be acting on his way to stop the ritual that would be taking place that night.

He is just hours away from practicing the ritual and become the ultimate power the land and skies has seen; yet, he somehow felt the need of taking a step back and see the whole depiction once again.

"Our warriors are being attacked and slaughtered, that implies someone powerful, someone we know, is behind it. I highly suspect Lucius but if it is not him, then who might it be who knows every measure we take?" Alder posed.

"Like Lucius said, we might have a backstabber from our warriors but the person who is in shadows and leading them must be somebody who is quite close to us." Alder continued as he proposed his qualms.

It must be Lucius. It must be him.

"Nevertheless he made no suspicious move in the past two days, Milord. I and my men had close eye on him." The pale looking Lord of walking dead replied sharing the same suspicion that Alder has.

Alder stood up all of a sudden and gaped into space as something caught his attention.

"Keep your eye on Lucius while I go and confirm something for myself." Alder rushed out in powerful strides closing the distance between him and his prey.

Why haven't he thought of it before?

It could her as well. It could be.

He didn't know of the purpose but it could be her.

Alder walked through the swirling staircase of the east wing and strode through the hallways of the west wing of the manor. As he closed in to a specific chamber, he could hear the light whispers of spells that the wind carried to him.

He stopped by the door for few moments contemplating on how he shall be approaching the issue while not giving her the benefit of suspicion.

With this woman, with this specific woman, he has to be very cautious. With not having little to no magic around his fingers and having lost most of his mighty warriors, this woman can wring him out like that of a mere fly.

Without knocking the door, he squeaked open the door as silently as he could. Walking inside, he noticed that the bedchamber was gushed with the morning sunlight. The curtains were crumbled to the either side of the window panes allowing the light to pass though.

The door to the balcony was open and a dozen of incense sticks were lit along the space. Next to incense stick is a pure white rose collecting the ash of the incense turning itself into grey.