•15•

"This. This is the dress" I say, pulling it off the hanger.
"Are you sure you want to go through with this guy? What about Tom-" Baylee starts.
"Dreams. That's all they are Bay. Reality is Tom and I are really good friends, and I don't want to ruin that over some stupid fantasy" I say.
I change into the dress and look through my shoe closet.
"So where is he taking you?" She asks.
"Some fancy jazz night thing, not too sure" I shrug.
"Sounds boring" she mutters. "Not adventurous like when you and Tom spontaneously decided to go get a hotel three hours out of the city"
"Look, I know your team Tom, but it's not going to happen, so please just be supportive" I beg.
"Fiiine" she sighs. "Is he at least cute?"
"You know Tyler Lockwood from vampire diaries?" I ask.
"Of course" she nods.
"They could be twins" I say and her eyes light up.
"Ahhh! Yes!" She squeals.
The door bell rings and I jump.
"He's here!" I whisper yell. "Go get the door!"
Baylee rushes downstairs and I do the last couple things I need to be ready.
I take a look in the mirror and nod at myself.
"You've got this" I mutter.
Making my way downstairs I see Baylee awkwardly trying to distract Daniel. A laugh escapes my lips and he looks past her to me.
"Wow love look at you" he comments, taking my hand.
"Good enough for fancy jazz night?" I ask.
"Absolutely stunning" he smiles.
"And that's my cue, have fun you two" Baylee says, leaving.
"Well, we should get going" he says, offering his arm which I gladly take. We walk out to his car, and he opens the door for me. I slide into the leather seat and he gets in.
We have a music filled ride to the building it's in, and it's very beautiful, everyone coming with a date on their arm. It's so not my scene, but maybe it will be fun.
We get out of the car and he takes my hand, leading me in. As soon as we enter the door my ears are filled with music, beautiful live music played by people from his school.
"Wow" I say, looking around.
"Yeah we got some extra funding this past year and they really made this place amazing" he says.
"Daniel! Wonderful you came!" An older woman smiles, hugging him.
"Hi Mrs. Winters, this is Elenor" he introduces me.
"Nice to meet you" I smile as she shakes my hand.
"Do you go here? I don't think I've seen you around?" She questions.
"Oh no, I go to the private school on Lincoln Avenue" I say.
"Oh.. how nice" she says with a straight face. "Well it was great to see you both, excuse me."
She walks away and I turn to Daniel.
"Don't mind her, we don't get many people here from other schools" he says and I nod.
We walk through, and he says quick hellos to a few people we pass.
"Daniel you really managed to get a girl to come with you?" I hear a guy say as he approaches us.
"Shut up man" Daniel shakes his head. "This is Elle"
"Hi nice to meet you" I smile.
"Oh shit you're American?" The guy asks.
"And you are?" I say.
"British" he states and I laugh.
"I think she meant your name dumbass" Daniel says.
"Oh, I'm kody" he says. "So tell me, dancer or musician? For the love of god don't say theater kid"
"None of the above" I say.
"Runway model" Daniel says.
"Oh Damn Tyler man come check this out" kody calls over another guy. "Daniel brought a model"
I start to feel like I'm on display at a zoo, it makes sense. All these people are crazy talented and amazing, and I'm just pretty.
"She's more than just a model" Daniel says and I lift my head to look at him, giving him a small smile.
"Oh? What do you do?" Tyler asks and I feel under insane pressure.
"I like sports" I blurt out and instantly regret it.
"You didn't tell me you play sports?" Daniel says.
"Oh yeah, volley ball, track, soccer" I completely LIE.
"We'd love to come watch you play sometime" he says.
"Oh totally!" I smile.
Jesus Christ what am I getting myself into.
We hang out with his friends a little longer before it's time for him to go perform. He leaves my side for the first time tonight and walks up the stage, pulling out his viola and playing. It's wonderful, I could listen to it all day.. but I can't help but think I'm not talented enough to be here, with these people, enjoying these performances. My mom never put me in ballet, or piano, she put me in beauty pageants and model boot camp.
His performance finishes and everyone claps, he shakes a few hands before returning to me.
"How was it?" He asks.
"It was wonderful" I smile. "You we're phenomenal"
"Thank you" he says.
They give out awards, and Daniel got one for best adagio, while kody got one for best artistry. I really do fit in better with my little group of friends.
My phone dings and I look at it.
Tom: it's 10 pm and you're not home???
I laugh, why is he worried?
Elle: leaving soon, but thanks for worrying about me😂
Tom: that boy better not give you any trouble🙃 I'll go apeshit
Elle: chill, see u soon, since you're probably watching out your bedroom window for me😂
Tom: you know me so well darling
I lock my phone and Daniel leans over.
"Who are you talking to?" He asks.
"A friend from school" I say.
"Ah, the girl from earlier? I'm sure she's asking all about this" he laughs.
"Oh she will" I nod.
"I think we're about ready to head out yeah?" He asks.
"Yeah I'm exhausted" I nod.
We say goodbye to his friends and head out to his car.