Death Wants Payment

Fafnir had been in the castle for a few days when the first accident happened. Random things would fall, almost smashing him in the head. Other guards would have training accidents and almost stab him fatally, then when practicing magic someone would lose control and it seemed their magic would try to kill him.

He felt like everyone and everything in the castle was out for his life. The only person he felt truly safe around was Morgianna. It seemed she was the only one who did not have mishaps around him.

"Do you know why everyone is trying to kill me? I thought I would be safe if I stayed with you." Fafnir frowned as he stood beside Morgianna who was having afternoon tea. He kept his voice low in case there were other ears present.

"It is not them who is trying to kill you, but death. When I stopped you from your current path I indirectly saved your life. When a life is owed, a life must be paid. However, I have no intention of paying that debt myself. I also do not intend to allow you to pay said debt." Taking a sip of her tea she grimaced. It was not that the tea tasted bad, but the predicament that they were currently in put a bad taste in her mouth.

"I have to find something or someone who is not scheduled to die, and basically give them to death as a form of payment. I would not want to kill someone who does not deserve it, therefore I have decided to find the scum of this world and use them. There should be mercenary and adventure guilds in this area, but as a young noble lady I cannot just waltz into one and become a member. However, if I were to disguise myself..." She let her words trail off, letting her meaning sink in.

When Fafnir next raised his head there was excitement in his eyes. "That may be true, but I could not just let you go, you are still a small child." He had a smirk on his face as he stared at her red face thinking she was embarrassed. 

Morgianna took a deep breath trying to calm herself down but found herself getting angrier as she looked at his smug face. Within moments the temperature of the room dropped several degrees and a long sword formed in her hand. She looked up into his eyes seeing that the once smug smile had dissipated replaced by a look of worry.

"I was just joking, I know you must be very strong to have been able to break my curse. I was only playing with you." Fafnir gave a forced chuckle and looked away. He did not dare to feel relief until the temperature of the room returned to what it once was.

Still feeling quite agitated Morgianna wished to find something to keep her mind occupied. She had not had time to hang out with Felix in several weeks as he had been receiving lessons on how to be a Duke in the future.  At 8 years old, he was still young but held himself in a very mature way. Well usually. If Morgianna was around he actually acted like a kid, wanting to play and hang out with her. Sometimes Morgianna wondered how such a loved girl could grow up to become the villain. 

"Fafnir, do you know where my brother is today? I wish to see him." As a guard he spent most of his time with her, but he should still know the goings-on of the castle. She felt bad, him being a prince and all, but having him with her made things easier, and allowed her to move more freely through the castle.

"He should be almost done with his lessons, shall we go to the courtyard?" Fafnir had heard the maids speaking in the hall earlier. Being a dragon did give him perks when it comes to his senses. They had mentioned Felix requesting tea in the courtyard and were all excited to be able to serve him. 

With a nod Morgianna stood, leaving the teacups to be taken away. At first she had not wanted anyone to be a servant, but after arguing with the maids until she felt faint she finally gave up and decided to just let them do their job.

The walk to the courtyard was not too long, as her room was towards the back of the castle. They had only been walking for a few minutes when Fafnir stopped Morgianna from moving forward. "There is someone else with him. Do you still wish to proceed?"

Morgianna was not used to her brother having guests and could not help but be curious about who could be visiting. "I would still like to see my brother." As she finished speaking she resumed walking pushing the door open and striding into the courtyard.

Seated at a table not far ahead were two boys, one obviously being her brother, but the other was a blonde boy who she had not yet met in person. However, she would never be able to forget his face. The other boy was none other than Prince Gabriel Angelis, another capture target.

She had felt she was lucky to have not run into him at the party, but here he was in front of her. Enjoying tea with a pleasant look on his face.

She regretted her decision to see her brother, but it could not be changed now. Both boys had stopped chatting and were watching her approach.

"Morgiannnna, I am so glad you are here. Let me introduce you to Prince Gabriel Angelis. He is a year younger than I am, but he has sped through his lessons. He is a genius!" Felix chattered non stop, pleased to be able to introduce Gabriel whom he had met during lessons.

Gabriel stared at Morgianna with eyes devoid of any emotion. "It is a pleasure to meet you Miss Bloodmoon." With those words he nodded his head and once again went back to drinking his tea, acting as if she was not even present.

"He is like that with everyone, so don't worry!" Her brother tried to make her feel better thinking that she was upset. Her silence was not because of being upset though, it was in worry. She did not want to be too close to the capture targets if she did not have to be.

Forcing a smile Morgianna addressed her brother and his guest, Gabriel. "I am sorry for intruding on your tea time. I was unaware that you were entertaining company. I have already had my afternoon tea, so I shall leave and allow you to converse freely."

Her brother frowned at her words. Did she not want to get to know the Prince better? Now was the perfect time, yet she seemed as if she would sprout wings and fly away at any moment. He could not force her to stay though so he nodded his head and watched as she walked away.

Felix turned back to Prince Gabriel, surprised to find the boy's eyes following his sister's retreating figure.

"Your sister is interesting." If Felix had been surprised that Gabriel stared after his sister, he was even more surprised by the words he spoke. He could not wait to tell his sister the good news. If Gabriel was interested that would help her narrow down the choices.

_______________
Word count: 1254