Death Comes for All

Morgianna gazed at her reflection in the mirror with an emotion that could only be described as shock. The time above her head was dwindling down to a dangerously low number...

*Flashback to the day before*

"So there are a few things that I have not told you yet dealing with my powers. Even before I came to this world I had the ability to see how long someone has to live. I always saw it as a curse, something that bared down on every part of my life...When I was reincarnated here, that ability stayed with me. I did not understand why I would need it, but I think we can use it to find out where Angeline will attack next."

Alistar who was sitting closest to Morgianna after fighting for the seat leaned forward clearly enraptured by what she was saying. "So you can see how long we each have left to live? Every single person in this room?"

Morgianna nodded, knowing what they would ask next and knowing that she wouldn't tell them. If she did they would spend the rest of their time thinking of that one moment. She wanted them to live every moment to its fullest and when Death came for them there to be no regrets. "I do know, but I will only tell you that I see you each living several hundred more years. I will not tell you exact numbers as every action you make changes that number either for the better or worse."

Sharing a look between them, each of the princes, Olive, and Felix all wanted to push for the answer. None of them questioned if that was a true ability that she had. She had proved time and time again that she was far from normal. "We believe you, but what does that have to do with finding Angeline?" Capsian ran his hands through his shaggy blue hair causing it to a spike in some places.

"The people she is kidnapping is needed for sacrifices. Therefore their life will be much shorter than it normally would be. I need to look at people's lifespan as we travel and find people who have times that match." Morgianna felt like they had been hitting a dead in too much lately and even if she hated knowing when someone would die if it would ultimately save lives she would just have to suck it up buttercup.

*end flashback*

"Does it worry you?" Morgianna shifted her eyes in the reflection to see the man standing behind her. Death was dressed in his normal black and red with his scythe slung over his shoulder.

Morgianna thought about what he was asking but in the end shook her head. "I am worried about what my death will do to others. If I truly die, Alnwick will die with me. My friends and family will be distraught...

Death clicked his tongue and a door appeared in front of her. " Death comes for us all, everyone has someone who will be upset by them leaving. Even the darkest most deranged had someone they cared for at some point."

Looking at the door in front of her Morgianna frowned, warning bells going off in her head that what she is seeing is something she shouldn't. At least not while alive. "This door..."

"It goes to the in-between, it is also where you met your grandmother for the first time." Death answered matter of factly, his face not showing any emotion.

Morgianna nodded and hummed under her breath. It was exactly what she thought it was, a door she shouldn't be seeing. It made that number above her head seem more real. She had only decided to check it on a whim, but now the worry was eating at her. "Why are you showing it to me now?"

Death cocked his head. "Did you not have questions for your grandmother? I know she has been in contact recently so you would have to wait for her to be able to contact you. This seemed like the easier way." Though he spoke as if it was a logical conclusion she couldn't help but think that he wouldn't do this for just anyone.

Giving him one of her bright smiles, for the moment she pushed that number out of her mind. "As long as you go with me!" She grabbed his hand before he could move away and strode towards the door pushing it open and striding through. All the while missing the pink that had crept up his neck as his eyes stayed glued to her.

'How do you so casually take my hand like I am a normal being. Even with the blood on your hands it pales in comparison when it comes to mine. As Death I should be watching from the shadows, waiting for that number to tick down so I can take your soul to one of three destinations. Yet I feel so empty when I think of you no longer the you that you are now. Keeping your memories when you reincarnated here was a one-time thing... When you die next you will not remember me.'

Death let her pull him behind her waiting for her to drop his hand in disgust. Yet that moment didn't happen, instead, she squeezed it tighter as she took in their surroundings. He admitted it was beautiful, but he had seen it so many times it had lost all appeal. Centuries ago when he had become first become Death he looked around just as she did, in wonder. They were in a wide-open field with flowers that bloomed year-round stretching at as far as the eye could see. Mountain ranges in the distance and a sun and moon that hung in the sky putting the area in a permanent dusk.

"I did not think he would bring you here. You must be very special to his heart." Morgianna spun to see a woman who looked almost exactly the same as her mother, except her long hair drug across the ground as the walked towards them and she was surrounded by an ethereal glow. "I am Tadea, but you may call me grandmother." The woman had a bright smile on her face as she opened her arms.

Morgianna had spoken to her grandmother many times over the years but she had never had a face to go with the voice. At first the voice was monotonous and sounded ambiguous, then later she could hear it's sweet bell-like qualities but she still had not imagined her to look so much like her mother. Or rather she should say that her mother looked like her. "Not much of a hugger, that's fine. It's something I never really understood in the mortal realm but I saw families do it so I thought you would want to."

The words brought Morgianna out of her thoughts and she tentatively walked towards Tadea. When she opened her arms the goddess through a wink at Death and pulled Morgianna into a tight hug. "Can't... Breathe."

Tadea released her with a pleased look. "Good to know I still got it. Anyway I'm assuming you are here about that number above your head." Her grandmother put her hand on her chin as if deep in thought. "Have you thought of gathering up more people to fight with you so that maybe you won't die?"

Morgianna wanted to cry at her grandmother's reasoning. Sure she could gather more people but she could still die and take them with her. She was about to tell her just that when Death beat her to speak. "I think that is a good idea, the more targets the easier it will be for her to evade. I have kept a mental list of everyone I think could be useful in the fight." He wasn't going to tell them that most of the names were also people he considered potential rivals if they had stuck around. He hated when that thought crossed his mind. They couldn't be together she was a mortal and he was Death... He will be around way after her children and grandchildren had left this world. That thought made a twinge of pain shoot through his heart. He hoped she defied the laws of life just as she always did and managed to even live to an age to have children.

"That is all well and good, but I do not wish to involve everyone in my fight. More targets mean more will die... You should be telling me to not put them in peril before their time." Morgianna gave him an accusatory look.

While it is true more death is more work, he would gladly sacrifice them to keep her alive. "Well more people also could mean keeping your brother and friends safer too..." He was playing dirty and he didn't care. They were her weakness and he would exploit it.

__________________
Word count before note: 1498

So Death is a lot more caring and finally got his day to have a conversation that was more than 2 seconds. Do you all think she is going to have another tragically short life, or will she be sailing off into the sunset at the end of this?

This chapter has a second part to it that I will hopefully be finished with by tomorrow, finger crossed. 🤞