The Start of His End

After Morgianna had everyone move to their places she took a second to look around at the quiet forest one last time. She had gone over the plan multiple times to the magical beasts and had told Fafnir, but still she had a horrible feeling as if something was going to go wrong.

"Fafnir? We are ready. I have us some new friends that I just cannot wait for the dear Mayor to meet." That one sentence came through loud and clear on his end and he found himself smiling.

He looked over at the Mayor who seemed even redder than he was when they first met and sneered in his heart. "Mayor Fernheim, I am beginning to feel nervous for my companion. I had believed she would return by now and did not want to neglect the mission. Will you lead me to where you saw her last?" Fafnir saw a devious light flash in the Mayor's eyes, even when the man was trying to school his features.

"Of course, of course, I can only hope that she is safe and sound. I am sure we will reunite you shortly." Mayor Fernheim wasted no time, immediately striding towards the forest as if there were a blazing fire behind him and he could not wait to escape it.

"We are on our way, I hope you are ready to get rid of this snake." Morgianna could practically imagine the look on Fafnir's face as he spoke, and if she was not his friend it would even make her shiver.

The walk through the forest seemed to stretch on for an hour, the whole time Fafnir keeping his eyes and ears peeled for anything out of the ordinary. He had felt other magical signatures nearby but said nothing, knowing that Morgianna had a plan. The Mayor who was leading them kept fidgeting, his fingers occasionally tapping on his thigh in no pattern at all.

They had long since walked far enough into the forest to not be able to see the town anymore, but still Fafnir had to pretend to be oblivious. His pride as a dragon was in danger of being hurt by all this sneaking.

Up ahead Fafnir could see the beginning of a clearing through the trees. With his heightened senses he could also hear that slowly they were being surrounded.  He kept his eyes faced forwards and did not slow his pace in the slightest, knowing that just up ahead was Morgianna.

As the trees formed a natural opening into the clearing Fafnir could see Morgianna lying on a stone altar. The Mayor had stopped abruptly upon entering the clearing his once jovial face had turned into one of anger. Fafnir played his part and quickly rushed to her side, he took her pulse and began his act.

"No, no, no she can't be dead. I should have come sooner!" He bowed his head and fake cried into Morgianna, all the while trying to keep a smile from his lips. Behind him the Mayor still had not moved from his spot, staring at the scene in front of him with unbridled fury.

"That useless bird! He knew that removing the ropes would cause her to lose her life! How am I supposed to sacrifice her if she is no longer of this world?" He openly sneered at Fafnir who still held onto Morgiannas limp body. "You both were going to give me months of peace." He took a step toward Morgianna and Fafnir but quickly spun when the sound of wings behind him alerted him to a new arrival.

With a loud thump Alnwicks feet hit the ground only 10 feet from the Mayor, his power radiating from his body. Instead of being scared the Mayor began to laugh. "You acted all high and mighty but you used her just as I would have. She died saving you didn't she? Did it feel good to break your words and her very soul?" 

Alnwick said nothing but his gaze was full of ice as it slid over the Mayor.

"What? Nothing to say? Is it because I am right? You should have just been thankful to be attached to me as a parasite that you are. All You magical beasts are parasites, not even worthy of licking my shoe. However, now that you are no longer bound to me, I will let you take her place!" As he screamed out that last sentence the Mayor began charging the regal-looking phoenix in front of him as if he had forgotten Fafnir's existence. 

Fafnir smirked down at Morgianna who gave him an eye roll in return. Mouthing the word "Go" Fafnir knew that Morgianna was ready for him to join the fight. He turned slowly seeing the Phoenix blocking the crazed Mayor who had pulled a blade from seemingly nowhere and was attacking in vigor. Only to maim, never to kill.

He shook his body and let the change take over him, it was quick now after years of being able to change back and forth once more. The change took only a few seconds before he released an earth-shattering roar into the forest.

The Mayor turned, his attention once again being diverted by the larger more exciting prey. Instead of fear, his eyes were sparkling with mad happiness. As if he had just won the biggest prize. "My, my, my, what a splendid turn of events. A real-life dragon in my humble little town. You are a wonderful specimen. Why do you not make a pact with me? We could rule the world, with you I would not be limited to this small rural town that is full of ghosts. We could go anywhere, the capital eventually." The whole time he took inching steps as if he thought he could sneak his way up to the large being.

Fafnir's dragon form was much larger than he was when he was held in the cave those years ago. He stood easily 40 feet into the air and his mouth could destroy a carriage in one bite.  From his vantage point he could see the beasts that were almost upon them and smirked internally. The party was just about to begin.

"Foolish human, if you could even call yourself that anymore. Did you think that you would get away with your atrocious deeds? I am here to tell you that your end is near. Much more near then even you realize." Fafnirs voice was deeper and husky as if he had just woken up and had not yet cleared his throat.

He could see the greed in the Mayor's eyes as he was sized up like a prize pony at a festival and could not help the chuckle that slipped between his scaly mouth. "If I were you, I would turn around." He said the words slowly and quieter than he had spoken earlier, but still his voice reverberated around the clearing.

Fernheim did just as he said and was shocked at the sight. Hundreds if not thousands of eyes stared back at him from every available spot in the surrounding forest. They were all different shapes, sizes, and colors, but what really caught his attention was the large yellow snake-like slits that were trained on him. As he made eye contact a head slowly came forward. 

Myra was not impressed by the fat man in front of her. "Thisss pig isss the one causssing problemss?" she tilted her head before slowly slithering out into the open. Her dark green scales catching shafts of light.

Once again the Mayor did not seem scared in the slightest, instead, he just seemed to be getting happier by the second. "This must be my lucky day. The loss of the girl is truly regrettable, but a dragon, basilisk, and a phoenix... life is good." he laughed again his round belly jiggling. He looked around him in excitement and licked his lips as if he was about to eat the best meal of his life.