Before and After

Morgianna's eyelids felt like they were being held down by 100lb weights. She could hear people around her but all their voices meshed together to form a cacophony of static. Rough, calloused hands brushed her hair from her face while a smaller softer handheld on of hers. Even without her eyes she knew her friends were with her.

As much as she wanted to check them all for wounds, in her state she was of no good to any of them so she did the only thing she could to let them know she was okay. She squeezed the hand she knew to be Myra's and let herself fall back into a deep slumber.

Myra felt her squeeze her hand and breathed a sigh of relief. This time Morgianna had only been asleep for the night and into the next day. Once again she was beating herself up for not being there to protect her. "When she wakes up I am gonna kick her ass." Though the words she said were mean everyone saw the slight smile that crossed the green-haired woman's face. They had all been worried about her when Fafnir had brought her back. Myra who had fought off most of the attackers by herself had been injured but still refused to leave Morgianna's side until she knew the small girl would be alright.

Whatever magic had brought the dead back to life had dispersed when Sora had been killed, the bodies that had been fighting fell once more lifelessly to the ground.

"You should get some rest, I will stay with her. You too Fafnir..." Alnwick had been standing beside the bed, his back pressed up against the wall. Truthfully he should be angrier that his life could easily be extinguished if Morgianna were to die, but his life belonged to her. If she were to go he would happily follow her.

Fafnir looked like he wanted to argue, but closed his mouth when Finian came running into the room his face a mixture of many emotions: shock, fear, worry, and hope. They had only recently started bringing people back to the kingdom. There was a lot of damage done to the castle but the town surrounding it looked just as everyone had left it. Currently Morgianna was in the sickbay with the other wounded but Fafnir did not want to leave her in such an open place.

"Fafnir...its Faust, he is still alive. She kept him in the dungeons and he wishes to speak to you." Finian was out of breath, having clearly run the whole way there.

All the blood had drained from Fafnir's face. Faust had been the one to betray them, yet he was still his little brother. He did not think he could kill him, but he could not so easily forgive him either.

Taking one more look at Morgianna and Myra Fafnir stood with reluctance, normally one of them would be by his side in these times, but he was a grown man and this was his problem. He let his eyes trail down to Myra and Morgianna's linked hands and turned away. "Myra, I do not know how long I will be gone, but you should get some rest. Let Alnwick stay here."

Myra watched his retreating back and wanted to rush after him. She saw the sadness in his eyes but did not want to go against his wishes. He wanted to do this alone so all she could do was be there for him when he was ready.

...

As Fafnir walked down the hall with Finian he told a guard to escort Myra to his old room. There were plenty of guest rooms, but when he was finished speaking to Faust he would need her close.

The walk to the dungeons was long, the damp air clung to Fafnir making him feel heavier. He drug his feet as he descended the stairs wanting to prolong the inevitable meeting.  He did not know what he would even say when he saw his brother. Would there be remorse shinning in Faust's eyes or would there be nothing of the boy he had grown up with? He knew Faust was a man but for all the years that separated them he still saw him as the little boy who followed him around and wanted to be just like him when he grew up.