• 9 •

I woke up to the same clank on the metal bars. I jolted up and I accidentally hit my head on the mattress above me. I made a small 'ow' and I rubbed the spot.
I also made Yancy jolt up, too, him hitting the mattress above him too.
"Glad I took the top bunk." I heard Yancy say out loud.
"No sleeping together!" The guard warned us.
When he said that, I jolted up again, hitting my head again.
"What the fuck are you talking about?" I mumbled, expecting the officer to respond, but he didn't.
I grumbled and I got out of the bed and set it up again.
"Youse okay?" Yancy asked.
"What do you mean?"
"Well, I woke up in the middle of the night to hear youse whimpering. Youse were shivering and squirming around in youse's bunk and youse didn't stop until I came down and sat next to youse." He explained, rubbing the back of his neck.
My face became heated.
"It was just a bad dream. We all have it and we can't really control it. Just worry about yourself, Yancy. I'm able to take care of myself." I said.
He nodded gradually, not really taking my answer. We walked into the bathrooms and we had gotten ready for the day.
It only took me 5 minutes and when I walked in the cafeteria, I was the first one there. I didn't really like to be first so I leaned against a pillar and waited for a decent amount of people got in line.
I walked in the line and that's when Yancy came behind me. I crossed my arms, feeling a bit uncomfortable now.
We got our trays and now the breakfast was different. It was cold cereal with chopped up (favorite fruit). I smiled at this choice and I sat down and dug in with pleasure.
Yancy sat by me and he seemed almost concerned. I looked over at him and he slowly chewed his food and had some time to swallow the food.
I patted his back and he turned his attention to me.
"Is something wrong?" I asked.
He swallowed his food and looked both ways.
"Please meet me behind the building after breakfast."
I then started to grow concerned myself.
"Um, I-I..."
"Please." He pleaded.
"Don't make me beg." He said.
I sighed and I nodded. He got up and dumped his tray, then talked to a guard. He went outside before taking another look at me.
I finished up my breakfast and dumped it and waited for the bell to ring.

After a while, the bell rang and I went outside and I sneakily walked past the guards and walked behind the building.
There stood Yancy chewing on his nail. He heard my footsteps and he gestured me to come closer. I hesitated at first but walked over there.
"Are youse sure youse's okay?" He asked.
I became irritated and I punched the bridge of my nose.
"Yes I am fine Yancy. I don't need anyone to worry about me. I am a grown adult and I know what is best for me." I said.
I started to walk away when I felt Yancy's hand around my wrist. The one where father gripped and broke. I tried to tugged away my arm but his grip was iron.
"I just care 'bout youse." He said, clutching on tighter.
I became annoyed and when I do, I just need to be alone. I sighed angrily and I gripped his wrist and I pulled mine off.
"Then don't." I said coldly.
His eyes widen and and he froze in the spot and I stormed off. I talked to one officer and asked if I could get a job to pass the time.
The officer I talked to was Colomba and he said that there was a spot open for a dish washer. I thanked him as I walked into the cafeteria kitchen and put on an apron and put on some clothes.
I began to wash the dishes, vigorously scrubbing the dishes with the rag. My anger had gotten so high, I almost broke the glass plate. I caught myself getting my anger the best of me and I took several deep breaths.
Just then, Colomba came in and he said that I was upgraded to washing the clothing. I thanked him and I went to the laundry room and I washed the clothing and when they were washed, I hung them up, and put some pins on it.

After some hours of doing this, Colomba came in again and told me I was upgraded to cleaning the warden's office. This was exciting for a regular prisoner, but to me it was horrifying. Being in the same room with that man?
It sent shivers down my spine. I asked Colomba if something else was open and he said that there wasn't and that the warden was actually too lazy to clean his own room.
I nodded in defeat as I grabbed the duster and walked into the warden's office. He looked up from his paperwork and he put on his smile.
"Ah, (Y/N). I have heard some good things about you." The warden said, laughing afterwards.
I nervously chuckled as I began to dust off his office.

After a few hours, he thanked me and told me that he will organize my reward for cleaning up the place. I thanked him as he patted my back and I walked back to my cell, seeing there is nothing else to do.
I had arrived and saw nobody there.
I sighed as I opened the cell and I grabbed the book Yancy gave me and I continued reading it.
I was so close to the end and I knew that the author always made the endings good.
The ending is where these two people are stuck together and they had an argument and now they are not talking to each...other...as much.
I took a break from the book and I held my head in my hands, trying to figure out what I had done. I had just yelled at Yancy for no reason. He just wanted to keep me safe and I was the blind one to turn my back away from him.

...

No. You have every right to be mad at him. You were trying to use it as a defense because you were just trying to keep yourself safe. It's not your fault. Don't turn yourself down just because of his talents and his skills. They are making you blind. Remember what you said?...
I wanted to be free. I wanted my freedom. And I want it. I put my mind on that topic and I have pledged myself to follow what I put myself on.
I repeated in my mind. I repeated it again and again. Then a question popped in my mind.

Then why haven't you escaped yet?...