six | distant memories

THE SUN DWINDLED DOWN THROUGH THE HIGH WINDOWS OF THE CLASSROOM

THE SUN DWINDLED DOWN THROUGH THE HIGH WINDOWS OF THE CLASSROOM. Ancient charts were draped all around the room as Artemis Bennett stared at Professor Lupin with a certain curiosity at the top of the ledge in the DADA classroom.

Harry Potter stood around Artemis' side, and the lavender-haired girl found herself missing their two other friends. But this was important to learn.

"Are you both absolutely sure about this? This is very advanced magic,"Professor Lupin explained slowly, placing a large trunk down in front of the two students."This is very advanced magic. Well beyond Ordinary Wizarding Level."

"If Black can fight the Dementors, I need to know too."

Professor Lupin glanced at Harry with a conflicting look. He then turned to Artemis with his head tilted.

"I want to learn, so I can protect my friends,"Artemis told him,"Harry can't do everything by himself."

"Very well,"Professor Lupin decided,"The spell I'm going to teach you is called the Patronus charm. Ever heard of it?"

Both teenagers shook their heads in response.

"Is that what you used on the train?"Artemis asked.

Lupin nodded to her question,"A Patronus is a kind of positive force. For the wizard or witch who can conjure one, the Patronus works something like a shield. The Dementors feeds on it instead."

The trunk in front of them rattled violently, which really got their attention but Lupin snapped his fingers to bring their attention back.

"Did you just snap at us?"Artemis asked with furrowed brows.

"You have the worst attention span, Artemis,"Lupin told her with a raised brow and Artemis couldn't really deny that."Shall I continue?"

"By all means."

"In order for the spell to work,"Professor Lupin finally continued,"you must think of a memory. And not just any. This memory needs to be a very happy one. And powerful."

"Bloody hell,"Artemis cursed under her breath as Harry thought for a moment and nodded.

"Got something? Good. Let it fill you. Lose yourself in it. Then speak the incantation. Expecto Patronum...."

Artemis wasn't sure she had any powerful memories he spoke of. Maybe that first moment when all of them had become friends, or when the twins have her the map. She had been so sad, and they lifted her up. As she was trying to think, another memory seeped into her mind. It was blurry and distant, but it made her feel safe and happy. It was a memory she would happily get lost in, even if she couldn't see it properly.

"Expecto Patronum..."Harry spoke.

"Right then. Shall we?"

Artemis backed up so that Harry could practice. This was more important to him than it was to her, though with the revelation that Black had ultimately been the reason she had been taken from her family did motivate her.