twenty - three | twi-wizard

SOMETHING WAS BREWING AND ARTEMIS LUPIN COULD FEEL IT IN HER CHEST

SOMETHING WAS BREWING AND ARTEMIS LUPIN COULD FEEL IT IN HER CHEST. The feeling was swelling with every passing day, and Artemis almost couldn't bear it anymore. She wanted Harry to forfeit the competition, but she knew he was too stubborn to do so.

"Are you nervous?"Hermione asked Harry as the four of them sat on the floor of the common room in a circle. It was late in the night and none of them wanted to go to bed.

"I think Artemis is nervous enough for all of us,"Harry joked, trying to ease the tension. He was right.

Every night before the last task, Artemis had been dreaming of death omens, according to the superstitious book she had picked up in the library after the second night. The first dream had been of white horse, which apparently signifies death by the end of the week. It alarmed her to say the least. Another dream had been two turtle doves in a tree, which means death is coming. The next one had been six crows sitting on the window sill of a house with all the champions inside. The last dream was by far the weirdest because she was helping the champion dress in preparation for the last task.

"C'mon, Sparky, be honest."

"Of course, I'm nervous,"Harry whispered,"I'm terrified, but I have to do this."

"Do you?"

"I'm not going to forfeit, Art. They would never let me."

"I guess that's fair. But...please, be careful. I have the strangest feeling."

"It's going to be okay, Artie,"Harry assured her,"I'm going to be perfectly fine."

☽☽☽☼☾☾☾

George met Artemis outside the Quidditch pitch where the last task was being held. Artemis was appalled that this was the reason quidditch had been cancelled.

"They cancelled quidditch for a fucking maze?"Artemis scoffed,"Why couldn't we just send them in the forbidden forest? Now, that place is a maze."

"We'll get to play next year,"George assured her,"We can a quidditch power couple."

Artemis admired the teasing smirk on his face, and she liked the idea of that."We would make a brilliant quidditch couple."

"Who do you think is going to win?"Fred asked, startling the couple had made it to the stands.

"Harry, for sure,"Lee confirmed,"He's never failed us before."

"He is simultaneously the luckiest and unluckiest bloke I've ever met,"George added."He's gonna bring home the cup."

"He's never failed us,"Artemis smiled.

Music began to fill the stadium as the champions emerged into view. Artemis couldn't help but grab George's hand for some sort of comfort. The anxiety pulsed through her as Dumbledore's voice thundered over the large crowd. Just as he was about to speak, Ron and Hermione had joined them.

"Earlier today Professor Moody placed the tri-wizards cup deep within themaze. Only he knows its exact position,"Dumbledore announced."As Mister Diggory and Mister Potter tied for first position they will be the first to enter the maze. Followed by Mister Krum..."The Bulgarians went wild for him,"The first person to touch the cup will be the winner. I've instructed the staff to patrol the perimeter, if at any point should a contestant wish to withdraw from the task he or she need only send up red sparks with their wands. Contestants, gather round."

Artemis watched Harry like a hawk, and she wanted to burst through the crowd to drag him to safety. This was the worst anxiety she had felt since the Chamber of Secrets.

"He's going to be fine, love,"George tried to assure her just as the canons sounded off. Harry and Cedric both took off in different entrances.

Artemis took an intake of breath that was sharp. There was quite literally nothing that anyone could do to make the anxiety go away. In fact, if anyone could, it would be her father.

She tried to envision what he would say to make her feel better, but his words fell short. Her head had started to pulse in a while way, making her flinch. Her hands went up to her head to capture her forehead din her palms. Her eyes scrunched close in pain.

"Artemis?"Hermione noticed, alerting the rest of her friends.

"Something's wrong,"Artemis choked out as her vision blurred.

"We've got to get someone,"Ron panicked.

"No!"Artemis yelped.

"Art-"

"No, please. Everyone already thinks I'm a freak."

"It's just a panic attack, I promise!"

"Are you sure it isn't-"Fred tried.

"No, it's not an instinct,"Artemis snapped.

☽☽☽☼☾☾☾

Once Artemis had regained her senses, George held her close as Harry finally appeared. After the retreat if both Fleur and Viktor, it was obvious that Hogwarts would have a victor.

Triumphant music began to blare as the crowd cheered wildly, but Artemis stayed silent as she saw it first. The gasp left her mouth and tears welled up in eyes as she realized that her dreams had foretold something horrendous.

Harry weeper over the lifeless body of Cedric Diggory.

"Harry! Harry!"Dumbledore tried to pry Harry from Cedric's body in hopes of an explanation.

Harry's voice rung out with a halting message, but Artemis already knew." He's back, he's back! Voldemort's back."Cedric, he asked me to bring his body back. I couldn't leave him, not there."

Dumbledore tried to calm Harry to his best of his abilities while Fudge attempted to console the crowd.

"Keep everybody in their seats. A boy has just been killed. The body must be moved, Dumbledore, there are... too many people."

A heartbreaking scream reached the air,"Let me through! That's my son! My boy!"

"Oh my god,"Artemis whispered in horror as Amos threw himself onto Cedric and wailed. She couldn't imagine the pain he felt.

"I can't..."George frowned."Diggory...is dead."

It was in that moment that Artemis' hair drained completely of color. Instead, it was replaced by a completely new color.

"Artemis..."Hermione whispered.

"I could have...I..."Artemis uttered in distraught.

"Art, your hair...what does it mean?"George asked with concern.

"I don't know,"Artemis replied in a hazy voice,"I don't know anything anymore."

"Artie, you're scaring me."

"I was right,"Artemis' face was now covered with wet, salty tears as she stared at the cold, soulless body of Cedric Diggory."I knew this would happen."

♥︎♥︎♥︎♥︎♥︎

Okay, I know that this chapter is super short but the next chapter is hella long and I'm about to publish it. We're almost done with the act and then on to fifth year! Again, sorry about the filler chapter. I wasn't sure what to do with Artie for this chap.