seventy - nine | threats

ARTEMIS LUPIN KNEW THAT NOW WAS THE TIME

ARTEMIS LUPIN KNEW THAT NOW WAS THE TIME. Voldemort's voice echoed, instilling fear within the students of Hogwarts. But not Artemis. She had been fighting for a year now. There was no backing out now. This was it, and there was no way she would let anyone get their hands on Harry Potter.

"I know that you are preparing to fight." There were screams amongst the students, some of whom clutched each other, looking around in terror for the source of the sound. "Your efforts are futile. You cannot fight me. I do not want to kill you. I have great respect for the teachers of Hogwarts. I do not want to spill magical blood."

There was silence in the Hall now, the kind of silence that presses against the eardrums, that seems too huge to be contained by walls.

"Give me Harry Potter," said Voldemort's voice, "and none shall be harmed. Give me Harry Potter, and I shall leave the school untouched. Give me Harry Potter, and you will be rewarded. You have until midnight.''

The silence swallowed them all again. Every head turned, every eye in the place seemed to have found Harry, to hold him frozen in the glare of thousands of invisible beams.

Then a figure rose from the Slytherin table and he recognised Pansy Parkinson as she raised a shaking arm and screamed, "But he's there! Potter's there! Someone grab him!"

Before Harry could speak, there was a massive movement. Artemis had stepped forward with the Gryffindors in front of him. They had risen and stood facing, not Harry, but the Slytherins. Then the Hufflepuffs stood, and, almost at the same moment, the Ravenclaws, all of them with their backs to Harry, all of them looking towards Pansy instead, and Artemis drew her wand in as other wands emerged everywhere, pulled from beneath cloaks and from under sleeves.

"Thank you, Miss Parkinson," said Professor McGonagall in a clipped voice. "You will leave the Hall first with Mr Filch. If the rest of your house could follow."

"Wait!" interrupted Artemis with a loud voice, and all eyes turned to the werewolf. She surveyed the room with a smirk, and in a swift motion, she turned on her heels. Artemis found herself once again standing her ground on top of the Gryffindor table with all her peers staring at her. Except this time, she wasn't speaking to her house, but to the people dressed in emerald robes. The kids that had been misunderstood because of a terrible expectation that they were inherently evil.

"I get it, you know. The world has painted you as villains, and I know that a lot of the people on the other side are your families. You don't have to fight, for either side. But I just want to say something before everything turns upside down. Because not matter how this ends, everything changes tonight."

The Slytherin students glanced at each other, not wanting to look at Artemis directly like if they did, she would see them for who they truly were.