seventeen | first dance

THE POST ARRIVED WITH A DELIGHTFUL SURPRISE

THE POST ARRIVED WITH A DELIGHTFUL SURPRISE. Artemis Lupin tore into her bound letter to find a lovely note written from her mother, giving her the appropriate amount of galleons for a dress for the upcoming occasion. Of course, Artemis had no clue what she was taking about, but she would never say no to money. Yet, it was not her post that brought the delightful surprise, but Ron Weasley's.

Hermione read the Daily Prophet in complete offense,"Look at this!" She laid the paper down in front of Artemis."I can't believe it she's done it again. Miss Granger a plain but ambitious girl seems to be developing a taste for famous wizards. Her latest prey sources report is none other than the Bulgarian bon-bon Viktor Krum. No word yet on how Harry Potter's taking this latest emotional blow."

"Merlin, that woman is horrid,"Artemis commented as a young boy walked up, holding a package.

"Parcel for you, Mr Weasley," The boy handed him the package.

"Thank you, Nigel,"Ron said with a pleased look while Nigel started at Harry in wonder. Ron noticed,"Not now, Nigel. Later, go on."

"What was that about?"Art asked as she bit into pastry.

"I told him I'd get him Harry's autograph," Ron explained as he tore open the package to reveal the most horrendous piece of clothing Artemis had ever seen."Oh look mum's sent me something. Mum sent me a dress??"

Artemis couldn't help the laugh that escaped from her lips while Harry peered into the box.

"Well, it does match your eyes,"Harry teased,"Is there a bonnet?" He pulled another part out of the box and held it up to Ron.

Ron rushed over to Ginny with a frown,"Ginny, these must be for you."

"I'm not wearing that, it's ghastly."

Hermione and Artemis busted into laughter, making Ron wheel around with a glare.

"What are you two on about?"

"They're not for Ginny, they're for you,"Hermione broke the news.

"They're dress robes, you idiot,"Artemis cackled,"Terrible ones at that."

"Dress robes?"Ron queried,"What for?"

☽☽☽☼☾☾☾

"The Yule Ball has been a tradition of the Tri-wizard tournament since its inception. On Christmas eve night, we and our guests gather in the Great Hall for well mannered frivolity,"Professor McGonagall explained to the crowd of students in the assembly room." As representatives of the host school I expect each and every one of you to put your best foot
forward, and I mean this literally because the Yule Ball is first and foremost...a dance."

Groans emerged from the boys, but the girls seemed excited. Artemis wasn't usually for fancy gatherings, but  she found herself filling with excitement at the thought of the ball.