twenty - eight | seeing red

ARTEMIS LUPIN SAT WITH A TIGHT FROWN

ARTEMIS LUPIN SAT WITH A TIGHT FROWN. A paper swallow swooped and dived overhead. The students around her buzzed with chatter and horseplay.

Artemis was not particularly looking forward to having class with Dolores Umbridge. She had drafted the anti-werewolf legislation after her father had been out as a wolf. She knew that whatever was going to happen wouldn't be good for her.

The paper swallow banked around as Parma Patil expertly controlled. The swallow soared low over he class before it suddenly exploded in a ball of flame.

Dead silence. All eyes turned to Umbridge as she slowly lowered her stubby wand and smiled a honeyed smile.

"Good morning, children!"

Artemis rolled her eyes at the sound of her voice. As she strided to the front of the room, she aimed her wand at a blackboard and flicked her wrist causing words to magically appear stacked vertically.

"Ordinary. Wizarding. Level.Examinations..." She read as she turned to the class,"...more commonly known as OWLS. It is not an understatement to say your fifth-year examinations will in many respects determine your futures. Study hard and you will be rewarded! Fail to do so, and the consequences may be...severe."

The remains of the singed swallow collapsed into ash. A stack of textbooks floated out of a cupboard and distributed themselves to the students, landing with a thud before them: "Dark Arts Defense: Basics for Beginners" over an outdated, childish illustration.

"Oh, lord,"Artemis murmured to Harry as she leaned back in her seat with her arms crossed.

"Your previous instruction in this subject has been disturbingly... uneven,"Professor Umbridge sent a glance toward the young Lupin,"But you will be pleased to know that from now on you will be following a carefully structured, Ministry-approved course of defensive magic..."

Hermione ha; been paging through the textbook with growing alarm. She raised her hand and Umbridge nodded.

"There's nothing in here about actually using defensive spells,"Hermione pointed out with alarm.

"Using spells?"She let out a silvery laugh,"I can't imagine why you would need to use spells in my classroom."

"We're not going to use magic?"Ron asked incredulously.

Umbridge ignored him and called on Artemis' upthrust hand. There was no way she was not going to get in on this.

"But surely the whole point of Defense Against the Dark Arts--"Artemis frowned with a borderline glare.

Umbridge interacted with her coldly,"Wizards much older and cleverer than yourself have devised our new program of study. You will be learning about defensive spells in a secure, risk-free way..."