seventy - seven | hog's head

FAWKES FLEW TO ARTEMIS LUPIN'S SHOULDER AS SHE SLIPPED OUT OF THE DARKNESS

FAWKES FLEW TO ARTEMIS LUPIN'S SHOULDER AS SHE SLIPPED OUT OF THE DARKNESS. The lavender-haired girl glanced around as she followed Harry, Ron, and Hermione last the man.

He gestured toward a rickety wooden staircase, bringing a finger to his lips to shush them.

Artemis pulled her hood nervously, finding comfort in being able to hide her face if she needed to. She followed Harry, entering a room with a threadbare carpet and a small fire place. Above the fire hung a large oil painting of a blonde girl with a sweet, but vacant stare. While Harry did his own thing, Artemis found herself fully appreciating the art. She missed home and all of her art supplies. It was such a ridiculous thing to think about in the moment, especially as they were fleeing death.

"Did you get a look at him! For a second I thought it was --" Ron rambled.

"I know,"Hermione replied, mildly shaken.

Hearing this, Harry slipped the mirror from his pocket. Footsteps sound from below.

"Harry! I can see you! In here!"

Harry and Artemis turned, watching Hermione take a jagged shard similar to his own from the mantel. He glanced down at the piece in his palm, seeing Hermione's eye looking out at him.

Just then, the man's hulking form appeared on the landing. "You bloody fools! What were you thinking coming here? Do you have any idea how dangerous it is --"

"You're Aberforth," uttered Harry.

The room went quiet. The man turned, eyeing Harry carefully.

"Dumbledore's brother. It's you I've been seeing -- here. It's you who sent Dobby,"Harry went on.

Harry held up his shard. Aberforth eyes it briefly."Where've you left him?"

Artemis looked down somberly, her hand going to the knife wound on her stomach as she thought of the lost elf.

"He's dead," Harry replied.

"Sorry to hear it. I liked that elf."

"How'd you come by it?"Harry nodded to the shard in Hermione's hand.

"Mundungus Fletcher, 'bout a year ago."

"Dung had no right selling you that. It belonged to --"

"Sirius,"Aberforth finished,"Albus told me. He also told me that you'd likely be hacked off if you ever found out I had it. But ask yourself where you'd be if I didn't."

Harry didn't respond.

"Right then. Reckon you're hungry. Let's get you fed, then think of the best way to get you out of here."

☽☽☽☼☾☾☾

Artemis practically shoveled in the food, giving small pieces of the scraps to Fawkes. The bird had seemingly taken to the girl quite quickly, and she wondered if the creature could sense her loyalty to him.