2

their lungs filled with water, slowly drowning them. who knew "fate" was a real thing. they say if you let something go, if its real it comes back. welp in this case, grayson was for sure back. of course he had no clue he would be working at angelica's company but here they were, and boy oh boy did they have a lot to catch up on. five years worth.  "you two know each other?" mr voss speaks breaking the deathining silence. angelica snaps from her thoughts and states "yes, we.. uh, we went to college together..." she glances at grayson with silent fear steadied in her. grayson gives her a small apologetic smile and looks right back at mr voss.  "well angelica i'm sure you've heard all the rumors already and no you aren't being replaced but grayson will be head of the music department and co-head of the writing department." his words sting deep in angelica making her look at grayson with disgust. "with all due respect mr voss but why is he becoming co-head of my department if has no experience in writing, especially play write?" she questions. mr voss sighs and says "you last saw him in college, but this grayson, he can do some marvelous things. as time permits you shall see. trust me on this one."

with that he walks out of her office, leaving grayson ad angelica alone. she just stares at the wall ahead of grayson and scoffs in disbelief. "in all the five years i've been here i would have never thought i would be less than someone else, especially you." she looks up at him, her eyes glossy as she was on the verge of tears, but she knew she couldn't let him know he was already getting to her. five years apart and he could still shatter her heart no matter what he did. "angelica can we-" grayson begun to speak until she put her hand up signaling for him to stop. "no,just stop.                                                              stay in your lane and i will to mr dolan."                                                            ouch. once he heard her address him by his professional name he knew there was no getting through to her. to clear up the thick air an intern walked in with a stack of paper. "thanks leo, do you mind setting them onto mr dolan's desk, we should get him started right away."  angelica smiled in which grayson only scoffed walking next door to his office. he set right i his chair and begun working.

liability

nearly everyone had left the office except grayson and angelica, just like old times. just as angelica sent her last email her phone began to ring. she looked at the name and smiled, answering the phone. "hey baby i'm just about to leave the office" she spoke in which he smilled and said "good because this food is hot and ready and someone else misses you.." there were tiny barks to be heard in the background making angelica giggle. "aww i miss rufus too, you... not so much" " aw darn, next time?" he asked back in which angelica laughed "yes next time, ill see you at home in a bit." "okay bye, i love you" he smiled in which she hung up "bye i love you too."  she looked up to see grayson leaving in her door frame. "can i help you?" she asked with a sour yet confused face. "waiting on you so you can lock up, i don't have a key." he mouth formed into and 'o' in which she grabbed her bags, shutting everything off and calling it a night.

she set the alarm and locked all the doors behind her. the two walked out into the city night, all the bright lights illuminated by time square five miles away. grayson notices angelica walk in a dark patch and yells out "let me walk you to your car!" she turns around and scoffs. "i don't need your help, i've been doing this every night for five years, and i have protection." she pulls out a small hand gun from her purse making grayson back up in confusion. "what the fuck angelica-" he states making her laugh as she put the gun away. "i'm not the same dumb naive girl you met in college gray, i'm a grown adult who can take care of myself." with that she turned back around and continued her walk to her car. the words ring through graysons head as he yells out "you were never dumb nor naive..."

she turns back around and walks back towards him. "what is it do you want grayson? huh? do you want my full time position? do you need money? huh? what do i need to do to get you out of my life?!" to anyone else she might've sounded crazy but to grayson she made sense. "i just want a fresh start..." she stakes making her scoff. " a fresh start grayson? really? you think that bull shit is going to work on me? you had a fucking chance for a fresh star! when you asked me to be your girlfriend you had a chance for a fresh star! but no! you fucking ghosted me grayson! you left me to think something happened to you! or that i wasn't good enough! or that you didn't love me anymore! you left me grayson, you fucking left me! and you cant just fucking come back into my life and expect me to fall back in love with you or swoon to you. it too late grayson, too late. "  "who were you on the phone with, who did you move on to..."

"ethan."

-
published March 17th 2020
edited may 27th 2021