◆21

There was an uncomfortable silence in the car and Heejin really couldn't stand it any longer

"...are you not going to talk to me because it's getting a bit boring can't lie."

Jeno glanced at Heejin who was biting her nails habitually and he looked back at the road as he sped a bit.
"You shouldn't do that." He spoke, deep voice shocking her momentarily.

Heejin stopped biting her nails, taking her finger out of her mouth and putting her hand on her lap.
"Sorry, I do it when I'm anxious."

"What are you anxious about?"
Heejin sighed, leaning her head on the window and looking out at the scenery.
"Everything, I don't know." She whispered at the end.

Jeno stopped at the red light, taking the chance to lean into the back seat and grabbing something, before handing it over to the girl.

The packet of gummy bears made Heejin look down at it in confusion before taking it from his hands.
"Traffic, we'll be here for a long time it seems." He spoke.

"Why...why do you have gummy bears in your car?" She asked, opening it nevertheless.
"My niece's."
"Oh, you have a niece?"
Jeno shifted uncomfortably and nodded.

Heejin then looked at the back where a pink carseat was situated.
"How old is she?" Heejin asked, pulling her heels up on the seat and Jeno sent her a look.

The girl held her hands up in defence and put her feet back on the ground with a huff.
"She's 4."

Heejin smiled and glanced at him whist diving into the gummy bears.
"Does she call you something cute like Uncle Jennie." Heejin laughed at the thought and Jeno sighed heavily.

It's going to be a long car ride.

"Can I ask you a serious question?" Heejin asked suddenly and Jeno's eyes flickered over to her before he nodded.

She chewed the sweet in her mouth before swallowing it and composing herself.
"Who set the fire- you have to answer me seriously please."

Jeno stiffened and a flurry of traumatic memories seized him for a second and his eyes fell distant.

The girl watched him intently, wondering why he turned silent. His fists tightened on the steering wheel and knuckles white.

She touched his arm, bringing him out of his thoughts.
"Jeno?"

He snapped out of it, slightly dazed but returned back to his colder self.
"Yes Rosa?"

"Nevermind." Heejin breathed out, sitting back in the chair.

"It doesn't change anything if you knew." He began. "It would only cause sadness for you Rosa."

"It doesn't matter, I can take it." She stated defiantly.

"My Father killed your family."