◆57

"Okay but you were the one who punched the guy in the face, he didn't even do anything!" "We were 11, I was a kid back then

"We were 11, I was a kid back then." Jeno tried to defend himself and Heejin scoffed, smiling to herself with her arm linked with his good one.

It was the evening and the two had decided to leave the house, the sun beating down on them both despite the cold gust of winds breezing past them both.

Time had really flown past in a blink of an eye, already nearing three months since they had gotten together yet it felt like yesterday.

He was wearing a simple sweatpants and t-shirt paired with a jacket to shield him from the cold yet he still looked utterly breathtaking.

"Hey," she began softly, watching the leaves crunch under her feet and he hummed in response, the sun infiltrating through his dark, messy hair.

"I need to talk to you about something."

That one sentence made his heart plummet and a thousand different scenarios played out inside his head, life flashing before his eyes.

"Did something happen?" He asked, stopping and tilting her head up to stare down into her eyes.

The minor action sent a flurry of butterflies swarming in her stomach and a hue of redness appearing on her cheeks- looking up into his loving eyes.

Yet despite the happiness she felt, the discovery that had happened the other day pulled at her, knawed at her and she felt immense guilt.

Her hand grazed up to his that cupped her face- her hand encasing around his and she offered a small smile- gently removing his hand and pulling him along with her.

"What happened Rosa? You're worrying me now." He spoke, his eyes narrowing at the back of her head in concern yet the lump in her throat grew and they found themselves sitting at the park bench- looking out at their childhood park.

Her glazed over eyes stared at it thoughtfully yet his eyes remained on her- Jeno's hand on her knee to bring her out of the daydream.

"You okay baby?"
There it went again, the concern twining through his smooth voice and the newfound name sent shrills of love through her heart, fuzzy mind and her pulse pounded frantically.

She managed a small smile which he saw right through, turning his body to face her and his eyes narrowed- turning her face towards him with his hand resting on the side of her face.

Heejin looked down, unable to look him in the eyes in the fear of his reaction.
Jeno's smooth, warm thumb grazed over her skin comfortingly despite not knowing what had happened.

"Is it me, did I upset you?" His voice was gentle yet slightly hurt at the idea of it and Heejin's eyes widened, shaking her head.

"No Hyeon, it isn't you it's just..." She trailed off biting down at her lip before sighing, looking down at her hands in her lap before looking into his eyes.

"The other day..."

"Are you sure about this?" Mark asked worriedly at the girl who began to grab the weapons needed and nodded.

"I have a hunch on who it is but I need your help to know for sure." She spoke, turning to Jaehyun.

"It's going to destroy them both if they find out." He spoke, thinking of his own daughter and Yena.

Heejin nodded knowingly, rubbing her temples.
"He's after me right? He wants me gone-"
"Last time this happened you ended up blind." Jisung interrupted.

She sighed, knowing he was right but the drive fuelled her.
"We all need to work together on this."
"Without telling Yuta, you'll get us all killed!" Donghyuck hissed out.

Heejin strapped the gun in her waistband before letting out a breath of air, thinking of Jeno who had no idea what was about to come.

"Call him." She ordered Donghyuck. His head snapped up and lips parted in shock. "Heejin-"

"I said call him."

That's how they ended up in Donghyuck's office, tracing the call that could change their lives.

The ringing of the line made her feel sick to her stomach, thinking of her family that had all died in fires to Jeno who had been brutally abused as a little kid.

"What, who is it?" A gruff voice grunted out and Heejin swallowed her anxiety before speaking with a clear voice.

"It's Heejin- Kang Heejin."
The line was silent for a moment before he spoke.
"Long time since I've seen you Heejin, how are you- how is your family-"

"Cut the bullshit Myunho, it's you isn't it? You're the murderer and you're the one who kidnapped me." She demanded with a sharp tongue.

A creepy, dark laugh rumbled through the phone, coughing out afterwards through his weak old lungs.

"Took you long enough sweetheart."