thirty eight

/ Make sure you've read the chapter before this! DOUBLE UPDATE! /

{midnight drives}

Seated in the living room of the District Unknown base was Hoseok, Namjoon and Seokjin. Across from them sat Daisy, foot tapping up and down impatiently as she held her nail between her teeth. She had woken up to the boys at her door, so now in her slightly disheveled state, she awaited the news she knew had long been coming. 

"So?" She piped up, fiddling with her hands in her lap, "Is this what I think it is?"

Hoseok gave her a look of remorse, watching as the girl struggled to sit still. It was a rude awakening to say the least, Daisy still in her colourful pyjama pants and loosely fitted hoodie as her tangled mess of curly hair fell softly over her shoulders. He sighed as he brought out his laptop, sliding it onto his lap before lifting the screen, "It is..." he replied softly, but to Daisy it felt like his words were loud, echoing in her ears. 

"Shit this is actually happening." She muttered quickly, turning her gaze away from Hoseok as she drew in a deep breath, "It's been so long..."

"Look." Seokjin spoke up, "I get that you're nervous, after all, District Unknown has been in hiding for so many years... coming back to re-surface is a bold move."

Daisy drew her lower lip between her teeth, "This has to work... or both of our groups will pay the price."

Namjoon clasped his hands on his lap, "We'll make this work." There was a pause as he locked eyes with the girl, his stern expression softening as his lips momentarily lifted into a smile of reassurance, "The plan is already coming along nicely."

From leader to leader, Daisy felt herself relax, her jittering slowing as she regained her composure. She drew in a calm breath, pausing before letting it out, "I think I just need to take a breather." She scrunched her hair in her hands, "This is a really big move." 

It hit her all at once, how everything was riding on her shoulders. Eun-ha had given her life for the safe survival of District Unknown and here she was about to face the Jeons herself. Just the thought made her stomach twist. 

Still watching from afar, Hoseok couldn't help but hold his breath as Daisy rested her head in her hands, her usual sunny expression painted over by one of fear. Wordlessly, he sent a glance towards Namjoon and Seokjin, mouthing a few words before receiving a nod from the pair. The two men slowly took off, leaving Hoseok and Daisy alone in the dimly lit living room. 

Silently, Hoseok slipped his computer aside, standing to his feet and making his way over to Daisy. The couch sunk as he took a seat beside the girl, resting a gentle hand against her shoulder, "I get how you feel... I mean-" He paused, taking in a breath as his eyes flickered to the ceiling. His gaze lingered there as he drew his lower lip between his teeth, "I'm scared shitless."

Daisy's eyes widened a little as she watched Hoseok's calm demeanour slowly break apart, "You are?"

He gave a nod of his head before his eyes flickered back to meet with hers, "I am." Hoseok's hand slipped off her shoulder as he began to fiddle with his fingers, "After all... this is all because of my debt-"

Hoseok was cut off as Daisy grabbed a firm hold of his hands, rubbing soothing circles against his palms, "It's not your fault... just our stubbornness." She heaved out a sigh, "You're innocent in all of this. No one asked you to take up Eunha's debt, it was forced on you..."

Hoseok let out an airy chuckle, "It's not like you guys had a choice either." He said, squeezing Daisy's smaller hands in his own, "You didn't ask to go into hiding, it must've been tough... and it'll sure as hell be even tougher re-surfacing."