Shakespeare and Sirens

...

Imagine for Iambroque. Enjoy.

...

"This is where Shakespeare wants you to regain sympathy for Macbeth." I comment looking up from the book in my hands to see the students. I sigh when my eyes land on Liam's desk, where he looks at his lap with a focused expression as he tries to hide his phone. "Liam." I say with a small smile, not wanting to make a scene despite feeling a little insulted by the action. "Liam." I repeat with more volume, instantly catching his attention.

"Huh?" He questions while shoving the phone in his pocket causing the class to laugh as he scrambles in his seat.

"You know the rules." I start, closing the book as I walk towards him. "You can get it after class." I say with a nod as I stretch out my hand towards him. He eyes my fingers carefully before retrieving his phone and frustratedly handing it to me. "Anyone else tempted by their devices or can we get back to the book?" I ask looking over the class, the smiles from their faces falling away as they see me. I nod slowly before walking back to my desk and placing the phone next to my notes. "Any questions so far?" I ask, placing the book down as well and leaning back onto the desk. I look over at everyone as they avoid my gaze, looking either at their books or at the board behind me.

"Miss Dayal?" I voice begs and I look up to see Liam holding his hand in the air.

"You have a question, Liam?" I question sounding way too excited. He nods as he lowers his hand. "Go ahead." I say with a smile and he returns the gesture before softly clearing his throat.

"Why would Shakespeare try to make us feel sorry for Macbeth if he wrote him as this theoretically evil character?" He asks with a shrug. I smile.

"Good question, Liam." I fold my arms over my chest. "Macbeth is written to be a fallen hero, or so many people say. But more than anything, we as an audience are supposed to pity him for being used in the witches' games. You're supposed to see him as a good and brave soldier who was tempted into doing awful things that led to his downfall."

"But he had a choice." He retorts quickly.

"Did he?" I question leaning forward.

"We always have a choice." He states simply.

"Exactly. And does it make you pity him, knowing that he willingly made the wrong choice?" He nods. "And that's the entire point. That's what makes this a tragedy, the fall of a hero." I conclude just as the bell rings. "Remember to finish your essays for tomorrow on any topical idea from Macbeth." I shout over the noise of the kids packing up, knowing no one is taking anything in at all. I roll my eyes before getting up and moving to the board to wipe out the work.

"Can I borrow this, I lost mine?" Liam asks from behind me and I turn around to see him holding out my book.

"Of course. "I smile and he nods. "That was a good question you know, if you haven't started your essay yet that might be a good topic to run with." I say, wiping my hands over each other to get rid of the white dust before giving him his phone.

"I actually already have a topic." He says, pushing the book and his phone into his bag before looking up at me. "Yeah, I'm writing about how Macbeth tried to hide the fact that he's the murderer from everyone despite the fact that everyone already knew." He says with a lifted eyebrow, his eyes darken as he holds my gaze. "I think it's ironic." He ends and the intensity in his voice makes me step back uncomfortably.