Chapter 31

I really really really almost exploded in anger at hearing that but after a few minutes of stillness and silence I was calm enough to keep getting dressed.

"Tell them I'll see them in a moment, and if you could ask Mr. Charn at the door if someone would be kind enough to get my food to the parlor."

"If you're sure." he says standing. He walks to the door.

"Why don't I just bring your brother? I could kick your parents out."

"That would put you in their bad graces, and they wouldn't allow it." he walks over and Cassie makes a little noise of shock, but he doesn't walk around the privacy screen like I'm sure she was expecting. He just raises his hand over to give me, a bracelet.

"I was going to at another time but I think now would be better." he says and I take it. It's a beautiful blue glass and pearl bracelet. Except the pearls had shapes. Different kinds of animals. But what really gets me is the inscription.

Know I will always be there for you.

"Oh Danny." I say softly. He laughs and heads toward the door. He's embarrassingly pleased.

"No need to say anything else. Glad you like it. See you in a few." he says and goes out the door.

"Well that was a rush. Do you want me to, accompany you?"

"I'm sorry Cassie but no. Not because of you." I say as I come out just in time to see her disappointed face.

"It's not because of you. It's because there's an inevitable fact that this will turn into a screaming match."

"Oh." she says very distressed.

"You should go eat. Thank you for waking me." I say gently nudging her to and out the door.

"Goodbye Cerine."

"See you later Cas."