Chapter 42: Soaked to the Bone

I was growing worried. Apparently Harry had waited till the night before the Second Task to begin his research.

I had to do something. "Oops, sorry Neville!" I exclaimed.

"No worries Emily. It was my fault. I love this book your uncle gave me. Its plants underwater." Neville smiled.

I stopped short. "There wouldnt happen to be a plant that helps you to brrathe underwater, is there?" I knew there was. I keep my passion for Herbology well hidden. Lest Ron or any of my other siblings notice a similarity.

"There is, its Gillyweed!" Neville exclaimed.

Luckily for me, being a passionate Herbologist, I have a small stash of the plant in my trunk. I ran to my dormitory and went to find Harry. He was asleep among the books in the candle light.

"Wake up!"

"No, Aunt Petunia!" Harry moaned.

"Try again Potter." I laughed slightly.

Harrys eyes snapped open. When he saw it was me, he blushed deep red. "Emily, what are you doing-"

"Take this. It will help you for the Second Task." I cut across shoving the algea looking plant at him.

"Thanks."

"Where are Ron and Hermione?" I asked.

"McGonagall needed them for something. Come on, we had best get to bed." Harry took my hand.

"Actually, you go ahead, I have some more researching to do." I lied.

Harry shrugged and left. Meanwhile, I summoned my swimsuit, goggles and flippers. I had more drawing to do. On my goggles, I put an anti fog rune. To my swimsuit, I added a rune that keeps my body underneath dry. And on my flippers, I added speed.

I then perused the books, checking that the mermaid village in the Black Lake is where I thought it was.

"Bingo!" I whispered. I was right, the villiage is in the center. I did the bubble head charm one more time to ensure I could.

Once I did, I put the disillument charm on me and went to bed, taking my supplies with me. I got up to the common room and found Harry fast asleep on the couch. I smiled and decided to join him on the floor. I summoned his and my comforter and I closed my eyes.

"Emily, wake up!" A voice said what felt like seconds later.

My eyes snapped open and I groaned at the bright light. "Im up."

"Wheres Ron?" Two voices demanded.

I sat up to find Fred and George stating at me. "At the bottom of the Black Lake." I whispered.

"Thats not funny, Emily." Fred said immediately.

"Do you think Im joking? Its part of the Second Task. We as the champions need to retrieve them in under an hour." I folded my arms.

"Is he ok down there?" George looked worried

"Dont get your wand in a knot. Hes probably asleep. They wouldnt let anything happen to innocent bystanders." I replied at once.

"Youd better get Mr. Handsome up." Fred smirked.

"Got it." I laughed. I bent down and kissed Harry.

"I thought it was the man who kissed the girl to wake up." Harry mumbled.

I laughed, "the roles are reversed and we arent in a fairy tale. The Second Task is today and....Hermiones missing."

At those words Harry jumped up. "What?!"

"You heard the riddle of the egg, right?" I demanded.

"Of course. Why did they pick her?!" Harry groaned.

I rolled my eyes. "You took her to the Yule Ball. That was the reason I didnt want to go with you. I solved the riddle way before the ball came up. They cant stash me down there because Im a champion. Harry, do you have a plan?"

Harry got up and stretched, "of course, eat this plant and breathe underwater. Save Hermione."

I smiled, "Good, I need to change." I went upstairs and slipped into my swimsuit, I put on my goggles and flippers. Then I put my wand holster on my left arm, Remus gave me for this past Christmas.

Then I left the castle for the Task. To my surprise, everyone was already gathered. It wasnt long before Harry came in dead last skidding to a stop.

"Go retrieve your hostages, at the sound of the cannon, you go!" Bagman explained.

I cast the bubble head charm as did Fleur and Cedric.

The cannon sounded, and gracefully, I dived. Once submerged, I swam to the middle of the lake. I remember seeing underwater photos from the library that there is this huge stone statue of a ship right before the villiage.

I was happy my flippers sliced through the water, making me feel.like a dolphin. I reached the villiage in 10 minutes.

I stopped cold, on a huge rock tied up were; Ron, Hermione, Cho, Krums date and a little silver haired girl.

Aiming my wand, I tried to cut the ropes. But my spell only blasted out bubbles. I then saw sharp rocks. Taking one, I frantically hacked at the bindings. 5 minutes later, Ron was free. Taking a firm grip, I kicked my way to the surface.

The minute we broke through, I heard the crowd cheering. Ron was fully awake now and together we came to the starting platform.

"Hello Emily." Ron said when we were on land.

I deactivated the bubble and silently dried us both. "Go see Poppy!" Dumbledore demanded.

Once we were clear, I checked my watch, already 45 minutes passed. After the hour limit, I grew worried then suddenly, Cedric appeared with Cho, then Krum with his date and lastly Harry with Hermione and...Fleurs sister?!

The announcing began. "Ladies and gentlemen, the scores are in! Fleur was unable to rescue her hostage, she gets 25 points. Emily used the bubble head charm and returned in 20 minutes with her hostage, we award her 50 points! Cedric also used the bubble head charm returned just after the hour, he has 45 points. Krum used incomplete transfiguration and returned third, 40 points. And lastly Harry returned well outside the limit, but he worked to ensure the safety of all the hostages. We award him 45 points. The final task will take place in May."

Apparently Fleur was frantic when she couldnt get her sister, despite my boyfriends reassurences.

I walked over and pecked his cheek.