Chapter 61: The Necklace

"I still cant believe Fudge told the public about that prophecy. Now I'll have even more eyes on me than before." Harry groaned.

The thick headed minister had recently published the prophecy of Harry and Voldemort in the prophet.

"It will be ok Harry." I reassured him as we met up with Hermione for a Hogsmead trip.

Today was chilly and the wind was harsh. "Lets go to the Three Broomsticks, ut'll be warm." Hermione suggested.

When we got inside, I caught sight of Uncle Remus and Dora chatting at a nearby table.

Remus excused himself and came up to us. "Hello there."

"Hi Remus." Harry and I chourased.

"Emily, dont forget to visit me after dinner." Remus winked at me.

It was with a jolt that the full moon would be approching. I jerked violently, "oh Merlin, I almost forgot."

Remus shot me a worried look.

"Ive been preoccupied!" I protested

"Ok." Remus smiled at Hermione and Harry before returning to his seat with Dora.

"He was talking about the..." I began but a voice from behind caught our attention.

"Harry!"

"Oh no."

Slughorn had appeared and he tried to get Harry and me to join his party.

"I cant, I have another lesson with Dumbledore."

"Unlucky again! Mark my eords I will have you both!" Slughorn chuckled.

Once he was gone, "cant believe you both got out of another one!"

"Hermione, you know about my thing with my lite sister." I lowered my voice.

"What were you just saying?" Harry asked.

"Oh right, Remus was talking about the Wolfsbane potion. It makes us a tame wolf during the full moons." I continued in the same lowered voice.

My two friends began chatting away, but I didnt hear them. I watched Malfoy as he got up from his table and slipped something to Madam Rosemerta. The woman then left her post from behind the bar. I had a bad feeling whatever it was, it wasnt good.

"Excuse me." I stated leaving the table. Usually the bar tender never leaves her post unattened, I found that strange.

I looked around the pub, but only saw people at tables, no Rosemerta. It wasnt till I saw Katie Bell of the Gryffindor Quidditch team get up and go to the bathroom. Madam Rosemerta then followed her.

I went in there as well. I locked the door and watched Rosemerta watch Katie. The older woman brought out her wand. As soon as Katie came out of the stall, Rosemerta aimed her wand at her.

"Katie duck!" I warned.

Katie did as I said, but Rosemerta pointed her wand at me. "Imperio!"

I entered the dream like state. And I got my silent orders. Rosemerta handed me the square box. I held out my hands, but then retracted them. I had to fight the curse. I doubled my mind shields and blinked hard. The connection had been severed.

My arms dropped to my side. Rosemerta growled and set her eyes on Katie.

Silently I stunned Rosemerta, but not fast enough. Her Imperious Curse had hit Katie! I revived the bar tender then tore after Katie. I knew the girl was about to do something very dark and dangerous.

I ran back into the shop with my wand out looking around frantically.

"Emily!" Four different voices called.

I had to stop Katie before she delivered the package. I prayed to Merlin she didnt have that cursed necklace on her.

"Where did Katie go?" I demanded turning to Remus, Dora, Hermione and my husband.

"She left."

I ran out of the pub and down the labe in search of her. Then I heard two voices arguing.

"None of your business Leanne!" I heard Katie yell.

Leanne tried to take the package from Katies hands.

"Leanne, stop!" I cried desperately.

The two paused abd glanced up at me. Leannes grip slackened on the package, but Katie pulled it towards herself.

"Oh no!" I waved my wand causing the necklace to levitate out of the wrappings before Katie could touch it.

"I need to deliver that to the headmaster." Katie stated, her eyes had a glassy look.

I turned to Leanne who looked very surprised. "Leanne, could you go to the Three Broomsticks and get Professor Lupin and Auror Tonks to vome here, please?"

"Uh...sure." Leanne then toom off to the pub. Meanwhile, I bent to pick up the box, making sure the necklace was still in the air.

I levitated the necklace back into the box, but kept the lid off. Moments later, Remus, Dora, Leanne, Hermione and my husband came to us.

"What is going on here?" Remus demanded.

"Katie was Impersed to bring this necklace to the headmaster." I told my uncle showing everyone the deadly opal necklace.

"How do you know this?" Dora asked.

"Because I saw it. When Katie went to the restroom, I did too. There Madam Rosemerta tried to impurse me to hand off the necklace, but we all know I cant be vontrolled. So she set her sights on Katie." I explained.

"Ok, we nesd to get to the school. Emily, did anyone touch that necklace?" Remus asked.

"No."

"How did you know it was cursed?" Dora asked

"I did some reading on cursed objects and I was able to see it in time before anyone touched it." I explained.

"Lets go everyone." Remus demanded.

"I need to question Rosemerta. See you later Remus." Dora gave him a quick peck before leaving.

*

"Ingenious thinking Miss Lupin!" McGonagall praised me 5 minutes later. Remus, Hermione, Leanne, Katie Harty and me were in the Transfiguration classroom.

Remus sent forth a message and McGonagall intercepted us as we arrived.

"Miss Lupin, you said Miss Bell was put under the Imperius Curse by Rosemerta?" McGonagall asked looking skeptical.

I nodded, "I can provide the memory if needed."

"That will be appreciated. Miss Bell, how are you feeling?" McGonagall turned to Katie whose eyes were clearing.

"Where-where am I?" Katie looked around her. "Professors?"

"The curse must have worn off." I mumbled.

"Miss Bell no need to be alarmed. You were under the Imperius Curse, but it has eorn off and no harm done. Remus, could you escotmrt Miss Bell and Leanne to the Hospital Wing?" McGonagall asked.

Once the three were gone, she asked me, "so you know who could have made Rosemerta impurse a student?"

I shook my head, "no idea Professor." Then I left with Harry and Hermione in tow.

"I know, Malfoy." Harry stated.

McGonagall glared hard at him, "that is a serious accusation, Potter. Do you have any proof?"

When Harry failed to answer, McGonagall continued, "Besides I doubt Mr. Malfoy could do such a thing. Now good day to you all."