Raiu

True to his word, Tobi stayed until Asa moved in. Also true to his word, he was gone for almost all of January. Asa was hounding me to take it easy, that I shouldn't be cleaning and organizing, but it's all I could do to stay busy. She took me outside for a walk every day, which was a nice break. This winter was bitter, and I was thankful for the extra blankets we had bought. The yukata Tobi had given me was warm, and smelled like him somehow, I wore it almost every day.

Asa has set out this morning, saying she'd return late, she had a patient in town she needed to follow up on, as well as do some shopping for us. Asa was kind, but stern, like a combination of Tsunade and Shizune, which was amusing to me. Her brown hair was streaked with gray, and her hazel eyes framed with crows feet, showing a good, happy life was had. I appreciated her kindness and I was thankful Tobi had hired her.

I stiff kick to my stomach made me still in my actions of sweeping the floor. I held my belly for a moment, letting the baby calm down and the contraction pass. I still had a little over three weeks, but Asa said it could really be any day the baby came. She had me worried that Tobi would miss it.

Just as the thought struck again, the door opened and stiff winter breeze blew in. Tobi, mask and all, stood in the doorway. His shoulders were slumped and his demeanor was cold. I could tell something was wrong, but all he did was walk to me and pull me to him.

"Tobi." I mumbled into his chest.

"I missed you." He replied quietly.

I couldn't help but smile and pull away, enough to see his single eye staring back at me. "Is something wrong?"

"No, everything is fine."

"Please don't lie, I know what you're doing is... goes against my beliefs, but please, talk to me."

"We extracted the one tails. The Leaf sent two teams as backup-"

"Kakashi?" I couldn't help it.

"He's alive."

"But?" I pushed.

"He used his Sharingan too much."

I shook my head and went to step away, but his grip on my elbows stopped me. "I need more from you."

"What?" He snapped.

"You can't just tell me that the end goal is for the best. You extracted the one tails? That means Gaara is dead- he was a friend. Naruto- he- you're going to kill my brother." The anger was overriding the tears this time.

"I can't stop this, it's too late." His tone was pleading, but I didn't care. "You need to calm down, this isn't the time to talk about this."

"Fuck you!" I shoved him with one hand and reached back to punch him.

The sound of porcelain cracking and clanking to the floor pierced my ears. I blinked. And blinked. It wasn't possible, there's no way. How was I seeing this? He's dead. Dead.

"Y/n-"

"No." I whispered, covering my mouth. "How?" I choked, the burning of bile filling my throat.

I pushed past him and emptied the contents of my stomach into the trash can. I felt his hand on my shoulder, the other trying to hold my hair. I swatted his hands away, heaving into the bail again. I sobbed, and sobbed, my stomach and lungs fighting against every movement. I could feel a contraction, but the pain felt like a pin prick compared to the betrayal.

"You have to breath, the baby." He urged.

This crazed laugh escaped me and my tongue tasted like an ether coated candy. "You're no better than the rest of them." I finally managed.