Kurenai

Kurenai stood before me with tears flowing down her cheeks. I choked on my own sob as I saw the child tucked into her sling across her body. I quickly moved away and let the woman and child into my home. Kurenai stopped walking and I peeked over her shoulder to see Raiu playing on the floor. He looked up and smiled brightly at Kurenai and me both. 

"He looks just like him." She whispered.

"Yea, it takes some getting used to." I joked. "Raiu, this is Kurenai, can you play quietly while her baby sleeps?"

"Baby?" Raiu perked up and titled his head.

"When she wakes up, I'll let you play with her." Kurenai smiled softly at him and he nodded excitedly.

"We can sit in the kitchen." I gestured forward and she headed for the small table. "Do you want some tea?" I offered as she sat down.

"Please." She wiped her face finally and I did the same as I began making the tea. "I'm not sure where to start." She admitted when I faced her again.

I leaned on the counter and held my belly, the baby kicking softly. "I'm not sure if there's a good place to start," I admitted.

"How old is Raiu?" She asked as she nodded towards the boy.

"He just turned two last month. Mirai?" I asked with a smile.

"She'll be one in a few months." She rubbed the bundled baby in her arms. "When are you due?"

"Mid-April." I rubbed my belly slowly, trying to calm the wiggling baby inside, "This pregnancy is a lot rougher than Raiu's."

The kettle whistled and I turned to prepare the tea. I sighed and stopped what I was doing, knowing I needed to say what was on my mind and what hung in the air. "I'm so sorry, Kurenai." I held back my tears and whispered, "If I had been here- fucking Hidan." I gritted.

"He missed you." Her hand was on my shoulder and I winced at her words.

"Damn Asuma." I murmured. "He promised he'd never leave me alone again." I shook my head back and forth, ridding myself of my thoughts, "No, this isn't about me." I straightened and turned to Kurenai and hugged her tightly.

"I said the same thing after the initial shock, damning him for dying. It's just like him, finally taking a big step in our relationship and then doing something as selfless as protecting his team." My shoulder was becoming damp as we cried together.

It was an awkward embrace due to my belly and the baby strapped to her body, but we didn't break away. There was so much emotion going through the both of us, and I was so grateful she was there at the moment. A stiff kick to my stomach made me wince and I pulled away. "The tea will calm the baby." I smiled and picked up our cups, handing her one.

"Sit, sit," she urged, "you shouldn't be standing so long." She shooed me to the table and I sat down.

"I'm exhausted these days, I'm so thankful for Asa. Shikamaru has helped so much too, though I don't want to put too much on his shoulders." I sipped the tea and felt the warm liquid soothe my nerves.

"He's been a great help to us too." Kurenai smiled and peered down at the sleeping girl. "Has Kakashi not-" at the look in my eyes she stopped mid-sentence, "I'm sorry."

I shrugged and sat my cup down, "I'm not sure what he wants, I don't know what I want really, but he can come over when he wishes, I've told him that."

"So you have seen him?" She asked slowly.

"Twice, aside from the day, we arrived in the village." I could see her hesitate and I added, "I know about Jade, she's the reason I let myself love Obito. That sounds wrong." I pinched the bridge of my nose, "I asked Obito to let me see Kakashi, to let me see for myself that he had moved on. When I saw that he had and that she was good for him, I moved on too." I relaxed a little after I sat my hand back down.