An End and a Beginning

The bar was packed and Y/n hated it. She was exhausted and wanted nothing more than to find the nearest bed and sleep for days. She was grateful for Naruto's effort and she felt loved and welcomed, but she had so much on her mind that she just wanted to be alone. Thoughts plagued her and worst-case scenarios clawed at her. It didn't help that she didn't see the man at the root of it all in the room, but she tried to focus on anyone and anything but him. She was failing, miserably.

"You'll need a physical before I can clear you," her voice was scolding, like any parental figure would be, "you didn't even come to see me." Y/n turned in her stool at the bar and saw Tsunade's ageless face staring back at her.

Y/n cut her eyes to Naruto, "I was busy with some things," her eyes looked to Tsunade, "then I was dragged, literally, from my house, to come here."

The older woman laughed lightly and crossed her arms, "That doesn't sound like Naruto at all." Y/n laughed lightly, "You're scheduled to come on Monday, yes?"

Y/n nodded, "Yes, I took the weekend off."

Tsunade hummed softly, "He's been busy," her eyes cut to behind Y/n and she glanced over her shoulder. Kakashi was slipping in the rear door and took a seat at the bar, "he's also been rather quiet and standoffish."

Y/n hung her head as she moved to face Tsunade again, "I'm not surprised," she finally looked back up, "we didn't exactly have a good conversation the last time I was home."

The blonde frowned slightly, "When will you two ever learn from our mistakes? You're too stubborn for your own good. I know you're independent, and you want to prove yourself, but you've never had anyone on your side more than that man. He's fought tooth and nail to prove himself to you and-"

"I'm going to tell him," her interruption made Tsunade halt in her words, "I'm ready to tell him, so the lecture isn't needed."

Tsunade smirked and shook her head, "Only took you how many years?"

Y/n snorted, "You're one to talk." She grumbled.

Y/n was shocked when Tsunade reached forward and pulled her from the stool to hug her. "He'd be so proud of you," she whispered to Y/n, "they all would be. Minato, Jirayia, and Hiruzen." She pulled away and held her at arm's length, "I'm proud of you, Hime."

Y/n's face scrunched as she tried to hold in the tears but they fell down her cheeks. Tsunade gave a curt nod and clapped her on her back before turning and walking away. Y/n sniffed and wiped her face hastily before she sat back down. Her eyes scanned the room again, watching her friends and the younger generation interact. She cut her gaze to the man and matter at hand, he was focused on his reflection in the mirror behind the bar it seemed. She sighed, gathered her courage, and crept up next to him.

"Does the Hokage have time to crash a party?" She was trying to be teasing but it certainly didn't sound like it as the words left her.

Kakashi kept a neutral expression on his face, his eyes bored, "Shikamaru is finishing up a few things and then he'll be joining everyone." His eyes found her e/c ones in the mirror, "Shouldn't you be mingling?"

She shrugged, "I appreciate the sentiment," she stood straight, "but I have other things I need to do."

He arched a brow, "Such as?" He could see she was anxious, nervous even, and he couldn't tell you the last time she looked so vulnerable.

She fought the blush, but it didn't matter, it was there, so she turned her face to the back door that he snuck in, "Want to come with me?"

Her words and actions made Kakashi's extremely curious, "You're going to leave your own party?" He spun around in the stool slowly and stood up.