Still Missing

Kakashi was accurate in his estimate of travel time though I shouldn't be surprised. What he failed to mention was that I would be carried the entire way there. Now, he didn't carry me, Kami forbid, he made the three younger males carry me. It was cute to watch Kiba and Shikamaru blush the first couple of shifts they took. Sai, which I knew had looked familiar, kept his stoic expression the entire time.

Asa, Sakura, Ino, and Hinata all took turns holding and walking with Raiu. Raiu also rode on Akamaru for a while, missing Rowan and Sage. Kakashi stayed in the front, not slowing and never, never, looking back. Shikamaru held me now and I found a nostalgic comfort in his smell: tobacco. I had seen him take a lighter from his pocket and knew he had started smoking. Damn Asuma.

I wanted to say something, anything, but I couldn't find the words. If I had been in the village, maybe, just maybe, some of the lives lost wouldn't have been. Asuma. Jirayia. Even Itachi, if I had known of his illness beforehand, I could've been working to cure it. All the lives lost in the war: I didn't want to think about what I could've done to help.

"Will you let me walk from here?" I asked Shikamaru the second the gates were visible.

"I'll stay close." Shikamaru sat me down gently and I adjusted my cloak hiding the Uchiha crest on my clothing.

"Thank you, Shika." The tips of his ears turned red and I giggled.

I had already asked Asa to bundle Raiu, hiding his hair from any prying eyes. She'd simply look like a companion of mine perhaps, with her own child clutched to her. The cloak I had on hid my belly as well, so that was one less rumor to spread so quickly. Whoever was at the gates, if they knew who I was, would make sure everyone knew I was here.

When the gates were about twenty yards ahead I stopped dead in my tracks. I couldn't do this. My heart raced and my throat went dry. My palms were sweaty and I felt as though I was going to faint again. Kiba, Sai, Ino, and Hinata walked through the gates, Kakashi and Sakura paused along with Asa, the three glancing back to see me in a panic. Shikamaru was still by my side and I felt his hand settle on my shoulder, drawing my attention to him.

"You're a Kunoichi if the Leaf, that hasn't changed. You're a Shinobi, just like me. Your reputation still travels across the Five Great Nations and we've been searching for you for years. Whatever happened while you were gone, doesn't change any of that." His ears were burning again as he glanced to the gates and back to me, "if you want to share your story, many of us will listen, I'm sure your brother among them." At my shock, he added, "Three years ago I was present when Tsunade told Asuma the truth of who your parents were."

"Asuma." I mumbled, "I'm so sorry I wasn't here, Shika." I heard someone click their tongue and I didn't have to look to see who it was.

Shikamaru's hand moved to my cheek and his thumb brushed the fallen tears, "Asuma wouldn't want to see those tears." He paused, "Neither would dad and they gave explicit instructions to take care of you when I found you." His voice was hushed, sorrow, and heartache filling us both.

"Shikaku?" I whispered.

"And Inochi," Shikamaru added.

This deep anger and resentment filled my chest all because of Madara's manipulation this happened. Kami forgive me but I hope that man suffers in whatever hell he's in.

"We were so close three years ago and never knew it. We were so close about a year ago and didn't even know it. Part of me wishes we had found you sooner, but we can't change the past, so let's keep moving forward."

"You'll be a great advisor one day." I smiled lightly as Shikamaru removed his hand and grumbled about women being troublesome, "and a great husband." His blush didn't just cover his ears this time.