We All Die

Obito POV:

I was headed back to Y/n and I was taking my time to return to her. The news I was carrying would be hard for her to hear, but I wasn't going to lie to her anymore, aside from the obvious lie. My feet felt like lead and my heart ached as though it was pierced by the sharpest blade. I didn't want to tell her who was killed, and I really didn't want to tell her who had killed him. She would be so distraught to begin with, but hearing who did it, she might destroy our home with the storm that will rage. Maybe I shouldn't tell her what happened... no, that's just asking for trouble.

I sighed and thought back to the last time I was home, when she asked me to alter her memory. After I had tampered with her memory, she slept for an entire day, waking up the next afternoon. I held her until I heard Asa return, meeting her in the hallway and putting Raiu in his crib to nap as well. I helped Asa put away groceries in a strained quiet, she knew something was amiss, and I'd have to explain Y/n's incorrect memory.

Asa and I stood on the porch, watching the rain continue to fall. It was as though the gods cried for Y/n, knowing the fate that was coming for her. She had nothing to do with this storm, but it still seemed to cry with her. I had tried saving her from a life of killing and death, but in the end, I'll only be saving her from her having to be the one heaving the blade. She was right, there is no life without death, mine included.

"She will hate you." Asa said after I told her of Y/n's request, and the fact that I followed through on it.

"I know." I sighed and closed my eye before continuing. "But if she hates me, maybe she can move on after my death."

"Willing to die so easily?"

I opened my single eye again, "If it means that she lives, yes."

"Madara will kill her if he knows she lives."

Asa knew of everything, more so than Y/n even. Asa was someone I employed for a while now, even before Y/n. She was right, Madara would kill Y/n, he was the one that slaughtered her family, sought out Y/n as a child even. I had managed to not only fall in love with someone I shouldn't, I had fallen in love with someone that should be dead just as much as I was. Madara thought she fell alongside her mother, a small child huddled beneath the woman, charred and unrecognizable, or so that's the story he told me years later.

"He won't know."

"What do I do once you're finished with all of this?"

"The day her memories return, you should stay with her."

"I had planned on that much." Asa didn't sound pleased.

"She will slaughter whoever kills you." I knew voice belonged to the wolf, but I didn't know he was roaming the forest around us.

"I'm surprised you haven't tried to kill me yourself." I mused lazily.

"Like I said, she'll slaughter whoever kills you, me included." Rowan jumped onto the porch and sat between Asa and I.

"So you heard about her memory?" I asked.

"I don't agree with it, but yes."

"She asked me to do it." I explained.

None of us looked at one another, no, we watched the storm as it passed, all in a silent agreement to protect the woman and child asleep inside. She continued to train, everyday, saying that she had to be able to protect Raiu. I wondered if she'd continue that, now that she thought I'd always return home to her.

"I liked Kakashi better." Rowan gave with a growl.

"So did I." I chuckled. It was a half truth, I liked Kakashi better for Y/n, but that was the only way I preferred Kakashi over myself. Rowan knew my meaning.