Never Again

Shikamaru lead Y/n, Asa, and Raiu all to the home they'd be sharing the next afternoon. Just that morning Tsunade has sent a few jonin to make sure the home was cleaned and furnished, paying for the contents of the home herself. Y/n declared she'd pay back every penny, but of course, Tsunade said she didn't care about the money. Asa and Raiu were a little behind Y/n and Shikamaru, the boy kicking a rock as they walked, well, he was trying to kick a rock.

The other big development of the day: You can tell Naruto the truth, once he knows, you can tell anyone you wish to tell. Tsunade didn't fight the tears as she said the words but Y/n kept that stoic facade on her face as she let the words settle within her.

"Naruto is on a mission, but as soon as he returns, I'll see to it he knows you're home." Home. Shikamaru was already living up to his father's and Asuma's expectations.

"Thank you." Y/n smiled lightly.

"Is there anyone else you want me to have come visit?"

"I would like to see Kurenai if she's willing." Y/n wasn't sure who would even be willing to see her at this point.

"She's on maternity leave at the moment, so I'll stop by after I drop you off," Shikamaru explained.

"Maternity leave?!" Y/n stopped walking and looked at Shikamaru in shock, "Asuma-"

"He knew, her name is Mirai and she's almost a year old now." Y/n sighed in relief at Shikamaru's words.

"If she's up to it, I'd like to see her." Y/n continued walking.

"Anyone else?" Shikamaru wanted to make sure she had all the company she desired, making her settle in comfortably if possible.

"Ibiki, Tenzo and I do wish to talk to Sasuke- I guess, let everyone find out I'm here, if they want to see me, they'll come." At seeing Shikamaru begin to protest in some way, she added, "I've been gone for three years, Shikamaru, and no one knows why and I'm sure they all have questions. I'm not going to force anyone to do anything they don't want to do."

"I guess it's good to know you won't be avoiding anyone at least." The voice was stern and the tone was unhappy.

Leaning against the wall of the home they were walking to was the owner of the voice: Ibiki. Y/n stopped and blinked rapidly in order to fight the tears back. Ibiki pushed off the wall and stopped in front of the younger woman, his arms crossed and face hard. His eyes cut above her and his stoic expression faltered before his eyes flicked down again.

"Asa, will you head inside with Raiu?" Y/n asked.

Asa and Raiu walked inside without a word and Shikamaru followed them. Ibiki continued to stare down at Y/n, processing what he was seeing. Uchiha crest on her neck, swollen belly and a kid in tow.

"You've- where- I-" Y/n tilted her head and stifled the giggle at the man's inability to form a sentence at the moment.

"I have a son and I am seven months pregnant with Obito's child." At her confession, Ibiki nearly stumbled, "Why don't you come in?" Y/n gestured to the home behind him and he nodded.

When they stepped in, Shikamaru called, "I'm making tea!"

"Thank you." Y/n smiled as she looked around the home for the first time.

It was a modern abode and it was larger than she had expected. Three bedrooms, one full bath, and one bath with a shower only. There was a backyard and it was the perfect size for the small and growing family. Family. Y/n stood outside and looked at the horizon with a sense of longing and emptiness at the thought of a family.