Forward

A/N: This is a warning to grab tissues... this chapter hurt. I love you guys. ❤️

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kakashi POV:

I stood watching the sunrise from the roof of my apartment building, thinking over my life this last month or so. Hands shoved into my pockets and an expression of uncertainty on my face. It was far from ideal, and far from what I wanted, but I was trying to find a new normal to it. I guess it was six weeks ago that my friends managed to 'accidentally' leave me alone to walk a woman home. Jade, her name was Jade and she was a newly appointed Chunin that Kurenai was working with. I had realized their plan as they all slowly disappeared without a word from the bar, knowing I wouldn't let a woman walk home alone, but I allowed it to happen anyway.

As I walked her home, hands also shoved in my pockets, and silently cursing my friends, I listened to her story. Her father forbid for her to become a ninja, telling her it was too dangerous for a woman as beautiful as her. Though, when her father was KIA, she was sent to the orphanage and joined the academy at a late age. She called herself a 'late bloomer' in the ninja world. She was in her late twenties, a couple of months away from turning 28.

Her blonde hair was similar to Ino's in color, though it seemed more vibrant. Her eyes, they were blue and dotted with gray, and when I looked into them, I felt as though I was watching a storm dance over the ocean. She wasn't, and this sounds harsh, special, but she wasn't plain either. She was just: Jade.

When we had arrived at her apartment that first night, she apologized. I remember looking at her with a dumbstruck expression and she giggled, it didn't make my heart flutter like her laugh would have, but it did make me smile.

"Why are you apologizing?" I asked.

She sighed and looked into the village for a moment before answering. "When Kurenai asked me to join your group tonight, I was hesitant. I've- I've heard about you and your reputation. Though Kurenai assured me that you were not the man the gossip made you out to be." She looked back at me. "And she was right. So, I'm sorry for judging you."

I gave a nervous chuckle and scratched the back of my head. "Did Kurenai explain to you why-"

"She only said that there was woman you once loved, that was it."

I dropped my hand and sighed, "That's the short version." It was my turn to focus somewhere other than her, "I'm sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for being understanding. Have a good night." I moved to walk away, but her soft hand on my wrist stilled my movements.

When I looked at her she spoke, "Would you be willing to have lunch with me?"

"You don't have to do this." I didn't want her to feel obligated to do anything.

"I want to. Even if it's a simple friendship that blooms between us, I'd like to go to lunch with you."

My mind was plagued with worry, my heart felt tight in my chest and I couldn't help but let out a shaky breath before answering. "Okay. I'm off on Thursday."

"Great." She chirped before disappearing into her apartment.

I was so worried that she would come home and hear of me dating someone. I was worried she would find me sitting next to a woman with a smile on my face, and question my love and loyalty. My heart hurt, trying to justify the need for socializing and a woman's touch, but did I really need either? Yes, of course I did. I'm human, and I am a man, but what was the cost? Was there a cost?