Foolish

I laid in the tent that someone placed me in and just glared at the green fabric that flapped in the harsh winter wind. I was sure that Kiba and perhaps Kakashi knew I was awake, the few tears I shed would fill the air with a salty smell the two would be able to pick up. I didn't know how long we've been traveling, nor how long we had until we reached the Leaf, but I didn't feel like moving. Then I became nauseous and had to move.

On my hands and knees, I scrambled forward and fumbled with the zipper, finally getting it open. I made my way forward, the light snow on the ground freezing my hands immediately. I made it to the side of the tent and dry heaved, meaning my stomach was empty, so it's been at least twenty four hours since I've eaten anything. I get a hand on my back, moving my braid away from dangling over my shoulder before circles were rubbed slowly on my back.

"You need to eat." Sakura's voice was hushed, gentle, and soothing, "Asa is making you tea."

I sat back, my ass hitting my heels and nodded in acknowledgment. Sakura helped me stand and lead me to a cushioned spot for me to sit and wrapped a blanket around me. She handed me a warm mug of soup and I ate slowly, the hot liquid warmed me quickly. I peered over the fire and saw Kiba leaning against Akamaru, smiling slightly at seeing me. Shikamaru and Sai were discussing something close by, by both gave a small nod before continuing. Ino and Hinata were playing with Raiu and I smiled at seeing the boy so happy. Asa was at the fire boiling water for the tea that would hopefully calm my stomach.

Kakashi.

He sat in the lowest branch above Kiba, eyes pointed at the horizon, keeping a dutiful watch. I couldn't help but continue looking at him, he was exactly the same, nothing had changed about him. My mind and body were too weak for me to figure out what I was feeling at seeing him. I knew I wanted to touch him, make sure I wasn't imagining this, but what was this feeling? Longing? Love? Fear? Anxiety?

What happened to me?

Was it being a mother that had softened me? Or was it Obito? I wasn't sure, but I didn't like feeling this way. That sense of weakness filled me again that I had felt years ago.

Sakura settled next to me and handed me the tea, Asa moving to Ino and Raiu. "He's a precious boy."

"He's a handful." I smiled as I took a sip.

"So he takes after his father?" I could see her wince slightly at her slip up, but I didn't mind, it was the truth.

"Definitely." My eyes cut up to Kakashi who was still focused ahead of him. "He's stubborn and doesn't listen when I tell him he's going to get hurt. Obito and I finally let the damn rabbit bite him so he'd learn to quit chasing him." The story felt natural as I spoke, but a sense of guilt and sorrow filled me after I said it.

"How old is he?" Sakura asked.

"He just turned two on January twenty-eighth." I could see she wanted to ask something else, but she wasn't sure if she should, "Just ask, if I don't want to answer, I'll tell you."

"The Uchiha crest-"

"I'm going on patrol." Kakashi didn't wait for anyone to answer, he was gone in a puff of smoke and leaves.

"I'm sorry," Sakura whispered.

"Don't be," I shook my head, "what's your question?"

"Were you two married?" There it was, the question I'll be asked a million times if I continue wearing the crest.

"Not officially," I sat my cup down next to the half-eaten soup, "he gifted me the clothes and necklace, a way of showing me how he felt. If things had been different- who knows." I ended it abruptly, unsure of how to truly say what he meant. "Is Sasuke in the village?" I looked to Sakura, her expression was one of wonder and admiration, it was strange.