Happiness

"Are you sure about this?" I asked Kakashi for the tenth time as I stood in the doorway to his apartment. I had Kain strapped to me in a sling and Raiu held both our hands as we talked.

Kakashi smiled behind his mask and answered, "Yes." He said it so simply as he stepped out and closed the door behind him.

Out we headed, Raiu between us and Kain asleep bundled to my chest. Kakashi had immediately grabbed the small bag of items we may need while out with the boys when he saw me at his door. Raiu has on his shirt with the Hatake crest on his back, and Kain's shirt has the Uchiha crest, though he was hidden behind the cream sling at the moment. I had decided to not wear a crest today, but I had my Suna hitai-ate at my thigh since I wore my peekaboo outfit.

"You seem tired," Kakashi commented as we walked through the village.

I caught the eyes of a woman I remember seeing Kakashi with when I was first back in the village and she quickly averted her eyes from us. "My chakra is low," I finally looked up to him, "I took a food pill as I walked to your apartment."

We were headed for a small, kid-friendly restaurant and I was following Kakashi's lead, "You could've waited a day or two before you got the boys." His eyes cut over for a moment but we both looked towards the road now.

"I'm fine, really, I just didn't sleep well last night," Will he ask why, or will he leave it at that?

I felt Kakashi's eyes on me as he asked, "Is everything okay?"

I hummed slightly before I finally answered, "I hate sand," he chuckled at my answer but I continued, "I haven't had nightmares in a while, but last night was... I haven't thought about that night for a long time." My voice got lower and lower as I spoke.

"Hidan?" Kakashi asked straight forward.

"Yes," I replied softly. "I thought I was over it, but-"

Kakashi's voice cut me off, and I was surprised by his words, "It's okay, kitten, we can talk about it later." He gave me another warm smile, "Thank you for being honest with me."

This was a strange territory and I was uncomfortable, so I kept my mouth shut as we entered the restaurant. We were seated quickly and Kakashi sat next to Raiu while I had an entire side of the booth to myself. I gazed out the window and thought of how much changed in the last three years. The village. My friends. My brother. Me. Guilt filled me and I didn't know how to process it.

"Mommy?" Raiu's tiny voice filled my ears and I turned my head to look at the boy. "Mommy home."

I was curious if he was asking if I was staying home, or if I was going elsewhere. "You get to go with mommy." I tried to smile, but Kakashi knew it wasn't real.

"Daddy?" Raiu looked towards his father and I saw Kakashi's face fall a little.

Kakashi shook his head and Raiu began to tear up, "I'll see you soon, though, okay?" Raiu sniffled and wiped his eyes with balled hands.

"Okay, daddy," some words were so clear when he spoke, and other words were such confusion it made everyone laugh.

Part of me wanted the boys to be rough and tough, and the other part wanted them to show their emotions more easily, only time would tell how they would turn out though. If their parents were any indication as to their emotional stability, both boys were screwed. Lunch was nice, as a family, and I had a content feeling settle in my chest and it was a warm and comforting sensation. It didn't last for long though.

Kakashi insisted on carrying Kain in the sling for a bit as we walked through the village so I was carrying Raiu on my hip now. Kain was awake so Kakashi and I headed to one of the small parks that were close by to let him lay on the small blanket and Raiu play. We found a small tree to settle beneath and Kakashi quickly spread the blanket out to let us sit down.