Chapter 9: Is It Really Anger

Recap: Liam discovers what happened to (Y/n) and asks his old friend, Tristan to deliver a letter to her.

(Y/n) awoke with a scream. Her eyes widened, adjusting to the dim room. She calmed down once she realized that she was in the maid's quarters. 

It was just a dream, she told herself. 

(Y/n) wiped the sweat from her brow and climbed out of bed. The sky outside was still dark, indicating that it was very early in the morning. Knowing that she would not be able to go back to sleep, the girl decided to get ready for the day.

The washroom was quiet and empty, something (Y/n) was not used to. She would have found it peaceful if not for the nightmare that still lingered in the back of her mind. Oddly enough, (Y/n) couldn't remember what she dreamed of. She only knew that it had felt terrifying. Even now, (Y/n) couldn't shake the feeling that something terrible was going to happen soon.

"What are you doing up so early?" Jenny asked as she entered the room. The head maid's hair hung loosely past her shoulders, and she wore a baggy shirt. (Y/n) thought she didn't look as mean as usual.

"Couldn't go back to sleep," (Y/n) replied. 

Jenny nodded and grabbed a bucket filling it with water. She began to wash her face. "I used to have nightmares every day when I first came to the castle." She looked towards the (h/c) haired girl. "Started sleeping near the window, and it made 'em go away."

It occured to (Y/n) that Jenny must have heard her scream. As if reading her mind, the older woman began: "You didn't wake me up. I was already 'bout to get up anyway."

(Y/n) gave the woman a small smile. Maybe she had misjudged the elder maid. Perhaps she wasn't so bad after all. 

-------------------------------------------------------

(Y/n) had gotten an early start on her cleaning. She was done with the ballroom by the time the other maids began to wake up. 

"Hey (Y/n) wait up," Samantha yelled, jogging to catch up to the (h/c) haired girl. (Y/n) slowed her pace.

"Where were you this morning? I woke up and saw your bed empty, and I was like, oh no what if something happened to her."

(Y/n) gave her a sheepish smile. "Sorry Samantha, I just woke up early so I thought I would go ahead and start cleaning."

"Well next time don't scare me like that!" the bubbly blonde replied dramatically putting her hand over her heart. "It's not good for my health."

(Y/n) giggled. "Yeah yeah, I get it."

The two girls entered the kitchen taking a seat at the table. They grabbed some breakfast, putting it on their plates. "Speaking of people going missing, where have you been the past few nights?" (Y/n) asked with a mouthful of toast.

Samantha's cheeks flushed and she leaned in. "You know that hot guard I've been telling you about?" (Y/n) nodded her head motioning for the blonde to continue. 

"Well, he wanted to meet up and um you know."

(Y/n) gasped. "You dirty girl! You and that guy have been sneaking off to fu--" Samantha shoved her hand over (Y/n)'s mouth.

"Shh, it's a secret."

"Okay," (Y/n) said once the girl removed her hand, "but how did you two meet up? I thought the guard's quarters where on the other side of the castle."

Samantha nodded her head. "It is, but there is a secret tunnel system under the castle that we used. They lead out to the stables, where we--"

"Okay, okay. I get it. But I've never seen any secret passageways before," (Y/n) replied.