Chapter 29: Crowning

Recap: The king dies.

A palace maid hurried through the hallway with a small tray in hand. She stopped in front of a dark oak door and knocked.

"My queen, may I come in? I've brought your meal."

The maid sighed when she heard no response. However, she wasn't surprised. After the king had been pronounced dead by the royal doctor, the queen had shut herself in her room. That was a day ago.

"My queen, please just try to eat something."

Silence.

The maid narrowed her eyes. No one had been bold enough to enter the queen's chambers, but she was growing impatient. The queen had to eat something eventually. She would just walk in and set the food on the nightstand. Surely no one would blame her for that.

"I'm coming in."

The maid pushed the door open. Her feet stopped. The platter in her hand's clattered to the ground. She held her hand up to her mouth, and fell to the ground. The queen was right there in front of her, eyes open, hanging from the ceiling. A thick rope was wrapped around her pale, lifeless neck.

The maid looked with wide eyes at the scene in front of her. She finally regained her voice, and screamed.

————————————————————————

As soon as news of the king and queen's death spread throughout the castle, all hell broke loose. There was a frenzy of people in the hallway, many demanding that the murderer be found, and hanged.

(Y/n)'s stomach dropped. In all of the mess she hadn't been able to find Myrrine. Her mind wandered to the worst case scenarios. Ones that revolved around the one thought that she was terrified of: that maybe Myrrine really had killed the king.

(Y/n) shook her head. Regardless of whether or not Myrrine was the killer, she needed to find the woman, and get her out of the castle. She had a gut feeling that it was no longer safe here. They had to leave, and soon.

But first was the matter of finding Myrrine. (Y/n) rushed through the halls. She was shoved to the side by a worker. Her head hit the wall, with a painful thump. But she didn't have time to stop. She made her way to the stables. Maybe Myrrine would be with Haris.

As she approached the stables, she saw Haris. Her feet moved faster, and she ran to the boy, engulfing him in a hug.

"I'm so glad you're okay. Do you know where your mother is? I need to find her," (Y/n) rushed out.

However, before the boy could answer, a figure came towards the two. (Y/n) let out a sigh of relief.

"Myrrine, I've been looking all over for you."

The older woman nodded, and (Y/n) noticed her tear stained eyes.

"Haris dear, will you leave us? We need to discuss something."

"Fine mom," the boy sighed walking away.

Once he was out of view, Myrrine burst into tears. She held onto (Y/n)'s shoulders as she wept.

"Please (Y/n) you have to beleive me, I didn't kill the king. I know you saw me making that tea, but I didn't kill him. Oh, I swear I didn't," Myrrine cried out.

(Y/n) gently pat her back. "Hey, just take a deep breath. I believe you Myrrine, I just need to know what happened."

Myrrine nodded, and wiped her tears. "Well, a few days ago Ellis approached me and said that the queen had been wanting a treatment to heal the king's, um, problem."