Chapter 11: The Ball

Recap: Kion takes (Y/n) to the garden to paint. He realizes what real love means, and grows fond of (Y/n).

Before she knew it, four months had passed since (Y/n) first came to the castle. The comfortable days of spring had long past, and in it's place came the extreme heat of summer. The annual royal ball would be held tomorrow, so everyone in the castle busied themselves with the preparations. Even Samantha with her carefree attitude was becoming stressed.

"I don't know (Y/n) what if I mess up? There will be so many people there. So much could go wrong," Samantha rambled. (Y/n) put her hand on the blonde's shoulder.

"I'm sure everything will turn out fine. You've done this before," (Y/n) said.

"Yeah, but before I just helped clean up after the ball. I didn't actually have to be there and serve guests."

(Y/n) nodded her head. It was a bit different. This year both Samantha and (Y/n) would be serving guests during the ball. (Y/n) wasn't too nervous. After all, what did she have to lose? Samantha, on the other hand, was freaking out. (Y/n) knew what would settle her friend down.

"Maybe the guard you've been sneaking off to see will be there," (Y/n) suggested with a wiggle of her eyebrows. Samantha blushed and slapped (Y/n)'s arm, returning to her usual self.

"Yeah well I better get going first," Samantha sighed. "I have so much cleaning to do."

"You and me both," (Y/n) replied, leaving the kitchen. She had a lot to get done and no time to waste.

-------------------------------------------------------

"Finally," (Y/n) said slumping against one of the pillars in the ballroom. She had been working to prepare the ballroom with a group of others. Everyone had their own jobs. (Y/n) had gotten stuck with cleaning and polishing the floors much to her dismay. Countless times, her fingers were smashed and stepped on. This continued for hours until the workers had gradually begun to leave. (Y/n)'s hands and back ached. She decided that she would skip dinner and go straight to sleep.

(Y/n) got up from the ground and made her way to the door.

"I'm heading out," she called out to the few people still in the room. They nodded in return.

With that, (Y/n) walked out of the room. She walked down the halls singing under her breath. The girl turned the corner, seeing Roman arguing with someone farther ahead.

Hell no, (Y/n) thought, quickly turning around. She had no plans of getting anywhere near the explosive prince. She would find another way to the maid quarters.

Hmm I've never been this way before. The atmosphere seemed darker. Maybe I should have just gone the other way, she thought. But the (h/c) haired girl had gone to far to turn back now. She saw a door open, causing her to duck out of sight.

"Remember what I said," a deep voice said before the door shut. A figure began walking towards (Y/n)'s hiding spot.

"Myrrine, what are you doing here?" (Y/n) asked the woman when she came into view. Myrrine looked up with wide eyes.

"(Y/n), oh umm I was just coming back from cleaning," the older woman replied her eyes trailing away from (Y/n). The (h/c) haired girl knew she was lying but didn't question her further. Myrrine was a good woman, she must have had a good reason for lying to her.

"Well I'm heading back to go to sleep. I'm sooo tired," (Y/n) replied putting the woman at ease. Myrrine chuckled slightly.

"Mind if I walk with you?"