Chapter 37: Dead Flowers

Recap: Leo confesses to killing Samantha. Myrrine is executed.

(Y/n) walked down the hallway with Leo trailing behind her. They had just come from the library, and were now going back to (Y/n)'s room. (Y/n) could see the guard waiting in front of her door.

"Wait," (Y/n) said, stopping. Leo looked at her oddly, but she continued. "Could I go see Haris?"

Leo narrowed his eyes and something flashed across his face: jealousy. "Who is Haris?"

"A fucking kid," (Y/n) yelled. She mustered as much hatred into her expression as she could. "Myrrine's kid. You know the woman you all executed."

Leo looked taken aback, but his face visibly relaxed. "Where is he?"

"The stables," (Y/n) replied.

"Okay." Leo looked like he wanted to say something more, but he remained silent.

Probably not to run away or something, (Y/n) thought. Although, she wasn't that stupid. She knew there were guards all around the castle. She'd be an idiot to escape, at least without a plan.

Without another word, (Y/n) walked away from the brown-haired prince, and to the person she had sworn to protect: Haris.

————————————————————————

(Y/n) walked up to the stables spotting a familiar curly haired boy and a gray haired man.

"Now, you hammer it in like this," the older man said to Haris. He held a horse shoe to hoof of a mare and hammered in a nail. Haris must have heard her, because he turned around. His eyes lit up when he saw (Y/n).

"Oh, hey (Y/n)." Haris said, waving at the (h/c) haired girl. (Y/n) turned to the older man.

"Hey. Am I interrupting something?" (Y/n) asked.

"Not at all, you can run along, Haris. I'll take care of this myself."

"Yes!" Haris exclaimed, running over to (Y/n). "That's Kristos," he told her. "He's the best."

(Y/n) let out a slight chuckle before scanning the boy's face.

"How are you?" (Y/n) asked, her voice laced with sympathy.

"What do you mean?" Haris looked confused.

"Well since your—"

"(Y/n), could I have a word real quick?" (Y/n) was cut off by the older man. She walked over to Kristos and he pulled her to the side.

"He doesn't know about his mom," Kristos whispered. "Don't tell him yet. He's not ready."

"I won't," (Y/n) replied. But she felt a deep ache in her chest. A conflict.

"(Y/n), let's finish the game. You hide this time," Haris yelled out, drawing their attention to him. (Y/n) glanced at Kristos one last time before walking over to Haris and ruffling his hair.

"Alright, but be prepared to lose. I told you, I'm the best at hide and seek."

"You're all talk," Haris teased.

"Hey, maybe my mom can play with us next time," Haris said. His eyes were bright and hopeful. It broke (Y/n)'s heart.

"Maybe," (Y/n) replied with a pained smile.

Haris closed his eyes, and as soon as he began counting, (Y/n) hurried away. She ran down the path until she got to the split. Her eyes lingered on the overgrown path, the same one she had seen last time. She hesitated before going down the overgrown path, stumbling on the uneven surface.