Chapter 27: The Calm

Recap: The four princes come up with a plan to kill the king.

(Y/n) woke up with a start. It took a minute for her eyes to adjust to the dim room of the maid's quarters.

It was just a dream, (Y/n) told herself. She brought her hand to her forehead and wiped the beads of sweat from her skin.

It had only been a few days since that night with Ellis, but somehow he had managed to plague her dreams. It had all felt so real too: his hands on her body, her voice begging for him to stop. Even her throat was dry, as if she had been screaming in her sleep.

However, this was clearly not the case. Everyone was still sleeping soundly--well, almost everyone. Her eyes drifted to Myrrine's bed. It was empty.

That's odd, (Y/n) thought to herself. It was way too early for Myrrine to be up. She crept out of bed and went to the washroom.

"Myrrine?" she whispered. No response. Her curly haired friend was nowhere in sight.

(Y/n) walked back to the quarters. A sudden tickle in her throat made her cough violently. She needed to drink something. Sparing one more glance towards the empty bed, (Y/n) tip-toed to the kitchen. She felt guilty for sneaking around so late, but the feeling in her throat would only get worse until she drank something. Besides, she would be in and out before anyone ever noticed.

Or at least that was the plan. The door to the kitchen creaked open as (Y/n) went in. She froze. She was not alone. Her eyes focused on the figure hovering over the stove.

"Wait, Myrrine is that you?"

The woman's hands stumbled and she turned around with wide eyes. Her posture relaxed a bit once she saw that it was just (Y/n). However, she was still tense.

"Don't sneak up on me like that (Y/n). You nearly gave me a heart attack."

(Y/n) gave her a sheepish smile. "My bad."

"It's fine," Myrrine said, "but what are you doing here so early?"

(Y/n) walked over to a shelf and grabbed a cup. She held it up, so that Myrrine could see.

"I needed some water. But why are you here? It's pretty early to be," she looked at the pot on the stove, "cooking?"

"Ah that. Prince Ellis asked me to make the king a special tea. He said it's for good health."

(Y/n) eyed the pot suspiciously. "That's an odd request. Why wouldn't he have the kitchen staff do it?"

Myrrine looked to the floor. "I'm not sure, but he specifically asked for me to do it."

(Y/n) nodded. Although, deep down she was still unconvinced. Nevertheless, she didn't question her further. With one large gulp, she finished her water, them rinsed out the cup.

"Well," (Y/n) said, "I'm going to head back. See you later."

"Alright."

(Y/n) left the kitchen and walked back to the maid quarters. The room was brighter than when she left. The sun wasn't visible yet, but (Y/n) could tell that it would be soon. She probably had a few hours until she would have to get up again.

(Y/n) laid down on the bed and drifted off into a peaceful sleep, unaware that it might be the last she would have in a long time.

------------------------------------------------------

(Y/n) walked down the hallway with a skip in her step. She had just finished eating a delicious breakfast and was currently on her way to Roman's room. She walked past the throne room, getting a shiver down her spine. There were two guards outside the door as usual. Her eyes widened with recognition.