Chapter 16: Grieving

Recap: Y/n hangs out with Leo in the library. Samantha interrupts them, and Leo kills her.

(Y/n) pushed past the crowd of people gathered in the garden.

No, It can't be her, she told herself. Samantha can't be dead.

When (Y/n) finally saw the body, she dropped to her knees. The body surrounded by a pool of blood was indeed her friend. (Y/n) immediately brought her hand up to her mouth. Her body shook as she choked out a sob. She got up from the ground and walked over to the body. She gently shook her friend's arm. It was cold. Samantha didn't move.

"Wake up," (Y/n) said. Her breathing became more frantic. "WAKE UP SAMANTHA," she cried out. She shook the girl's arm harder. Nothing.

"(Y/n)," the girl heard a voice say. "She's gone."

(Y/n) turned around. Myrrine was there. (Y/n)'s lip quivered as she ran into the older woman's arms. Myrrine wrapped her arms around the young girl.

"I should have been there." (Y/n)'s voice cracked. "I should have stayed with her. I shouldn't have left her."

"Shhh. You're here now, and that's all that matters."

(Y/n) held onto Myrrine, afraid that she too would be gone if she let go. (Y/n) cried into her shoulder. Myrrine's comforted her by gently stroking her hair.

They pulled back and Myrrine took off her apron. She draped it over the dead girl's body, and kneeled down in front of her.

"Glantil Formes," she whispered.

(Y/n) didn't understand what the older woman's words, but she understood their meaning: goodbye.

-------------------------------------------------

Everyone in the castle was talking about Samantha's death. (Y/n) heard their hushed whispers in the hallways.

"I heard she killed herself," they would say.

(Y/n) always butt in to their conversation. She would tell them that there was no way that Samantha would have killed herself. That she was murdered. However, nobody paid attention to the her. After all, they didn't really care about what happened, only about the gossip.

(Y/n) found herself walking back to the maid quarters. She found herself sitting on her bed, but her mind was elsewhere. She just stared into space, only vaguely aware of her surroundings. More people shuffled into the room. They got ready for bed, while (Y/n) just sat and stared. The candles were put out and the room was filled with darkness and silence. (Y/n) wrapped her arms around her knees and drifted off to sleep.

------------------------------------------------

(Y/n) woke up with the other girls, but she didn't really feel awake. Her mind was still a jumbled mess of grief, pain, and numbness. Myrrine shook her shoulders.

"(Y/n), we need to head out."

(Y/n) looked up at the woman. "I... I don't think I can do it. The library... it's where I last saw her," she broke into tears.

"Hey, it's okay. How about we trade rooms. I'll clean the library and you can clean the throne room."

(Y/n) agreed. She cleaned the ballroom and the throne room, not bothering to take a break. She didn't eat any meals, only drank some water throughout the day. This continued for days. (Y/n) lost how many had past. They all blurred together. The hunger and sleep deprivation was taking a toll on her body. Myrrine noticed this, so she made the girl go to the dining hall. However, when she was alone, (Y/n) would go to the bathroom and throw everything up. Nothing felt good anymore.