Chapter 6: Unboxing Presents

MERIELLE'S POV

     I looked inside and there are things in there that even other people would think are just normal things. Everything inside is neatly arranged. I picked up a red leather wallet with golden leaves design wrapped around it. I think it is really beautiful and expensive. The gold design looks like it was made with real gold. I opened the gold-colored zipper and saw a card inside. I picked it up and read it.

To: MERIELLE

FROM: THE GREAT MAMMON, AVATAR OF GREED

     Just in case you will forget (hopefully not), I gave this to you on Diavolo's birthday where you are also the guest of honor. I worked part-time in Hell's Kitchen with you and my youngest brother, Belphegor (he is the avatar of sloth). My brothers and I kept it as a secret from you as a surprise and to show you how much we thank you for all that you did for our family. You are a part of it now, too, even if you are a human and you are different from us by race. You can put all your cash here. Give some to me, too, okay?

     I placed the wallet down and took a glass figurine out of the chest. It is still inside its box and I took good care of taking it out. I took a look at the box and saw that the glass figurine is a figurine of an anime-character called Ruri-chan. There is a little card that is strung from the box. I took a look at it and read...

To: Merielle, my Henry

     I am his Henry? Who on Earth is Henry?

From: Leviathan, avatar of envy. Your lord of Shadow. (You didn't forget about TSL, have you? You did beat me in a TSL Quiz Competition. Let's not remember how it ended.)

P.S. Don't worry if you think that I feel anything bad when I gave this to you. I have three inside my room. Take good care of Ruri-chan, okay?

      I gently placed the figurine beside the wallet and took out a book titled "Most Sincerely Yours." Is this a love story of some sort? I opened the book carefully, like how I open every single book I have. I did not fully open it. Just half-opened it. A card fell from the front page of the book. I closed the book and opened the letter to read it.

Dearest Merielle,

     This is one of my favorite books. I bought one for you as a present, to show my deep gratitude for what you did to me and my brothers. You changed us. Anyway, don't be fooled by the title. This is a detective story. Well, mixed with romance, sure. Tell me what you think about it after you read it, okay? I would love to hear your thoughts and opinion about the story.

The avatar of wrath,

Satan   

     I feel very weird at receiving a gift from him, but according to the letter, we seem to be good friends. Now I am confused, but I just laughed it off.

     I placed the book gently on my bed and continued looking inside the chest. There is a pink box inside with a pale blue-colored ribbon. I took it out, untied the ribbon, and opened the box. I smiled with irony as I looked at all the cosmetics. I am not really into cosmetics. The only kind of cosmetics that I use is a tintless lip balm, just to keep my pinkish lips smooth. There is no card inside the box, so I looked back at the chest to check if maybe the card fell. Alas, none. I noticed another box with the same shade of pink as it is here in the cosmetics box. I put down the box of cosmetics and picked up that other pink box. It turns out to be a box of perfume. I turned the box around and saw a letter stuck on the box. It says...