Chapter 26: First Day on the Job

MERIELLE'S POV

     "Hey! I heard you guys snickering behind me yesterday when Diavolo said that I will be a babysitter! That's so cruel of you guys, by the way!" I scolded Mammon, Asmodeus, Leviathan, and Satan as we all tried our best to give baby Lucifer a bath.

     "We are demons, after all," Satan said as he washed baby Lucifer's hair.

     "That's not... nevermind," I said in defeat. "Let's just finish this up."

     "It is weird how it takes all of us to wash him up," Asmodeus complained.

     "Well, it was just supposed to be me and Mammon, but..." I said mid-sentence.

     "Little Lucifer here keeps pushin' me away and Merielle here is havin' a harder time! So that's why all of you are here so quit yappin' and finish washin' him up!" Mammon finished, full of irritation.

     "Just when I was supposed to be playing games in my room..." Levi whined.

     "I'm sorry, Levi," I apologized.

     "Sorry?! You're sorry because o' that?!" Mammon shouted.

     It became a longer bath than it was supposed to be. Baby Lucifer doesn't seem to want to be given a bath, but he's got no choice, doesn't he? He's too small to give himself a bath. He can't even hold a shower, and he'd definitely drown himself in the tub! Tch.

     "Time for dressing up, little big baby brother!" Asmo said as he held out a blue shirt, brown shorts, and a black belt.

     And that started another war with baby Lucifer not wanting to put on the clothes that Asmodeus picked out for him.

     "This baby is just too stubborn!" Asmo complained when we finished dressing baby Lucifer up.

     I looked at baby Lucifer. He is in a troublesome mood and is pouting at me. Although he looks mad at the moment, I do have to say that he looks cute either way.

     "Now what do you want?" I said with a smile that almost breaks into a laugh.

     As if an answer to my question, baby Lucifer's stomach grumbled, indicating that he is hungry. His cheeks start to turn red as a tomato and he averted his gaze at me. I couldn't help, but laugh.

     "So you are hungry now?" I asked as I picked him up to take him to the kitchen.

     We went to the kitchen immediately. All this trouble also made me hungry. Luckily, Levi is here in the kitchen. 

     "Lunch duty?" I asked as I placed baby Lucifer down on an empty stool.

     "Yeah," Levi said. "I am making fried salamander and spicy sea urchin soup."

     "Sounds delicious," I said.

     "Yeah!" Levi agreed.

     "If you are a demon," I added. "Which you and your brothers are." I picked up a piece of apple from the cupboard and took a bite. "It is so hard being the only human in the house."

     "Your tastebuds get to eat strange new food that doesn't fancy you, huh?" Levi said casually as he chopped some onions.

     "Yeah," I said as I chew.

     "That is one of Lucifer's poisoned apples, by the way," Levi said.

     "So what now? Am I going to fall into a deep sleep until my true love comes riding a horse or a camel or whatever to give me a true love's kiss?" I asked with full of sarcasm while still chewing.

     "Nope," Levi said and turned to me. "It will just give you a really bad stomach ache since it doesn't fit humans or... you could die because of it. It is poisoned, after all."

     I immediately spit out the poisoned apple that I have been chewing and drank water. All while Leviathan burst out laughing while baby Lucifer looks at us with a scowl.

     "Here," Levi said as he laughed. He handed me another glass of water which I immediately drank.

     "What I did... was stupid," I said as I put down the glass and let out one cough and a chuckle.

     "Good thing you know!" Levi said and we both burst out laughing until we could barely breathe.

     Baby Lucifer suddenly caught our attention as he started crying.

     "Oh my! So sorry," I said as I took a new poisoned apple from the cupboard and handed it out to him. "You were hungry, right?"

     Baby Lucifer whined as he looked and pointed at the poisoned apple that I bit on earlier. Confused, I took it and handed it to him. Baby Lucifer started eating it, starting from where I took a bite.

     "Well, that's strange," I said.

     "I guess he is not a fan of waste," Levi shrugged.

     "Yeah... maybe," I said.

     Baby Lucifer and I went out to let Levi finish his cooking. We just went to my room to talk. Baby Lucifer responds sometimes, although babyish.

     The rest of the day did not go so well. With Lucifer annoying Mammon, rips of pages from Satan's book, to scratching Levi's CDs, he ended up being with me for the rest of the day.

     "He'd better pay for the damages that he caused when he gets back to normal!" Levi shouted angrily as he held his precious CDs close to himself with tears in his eyes.

     I have no choice but to spend the rest of the day with baby Lucifer inside my room, telling him various stories that I know. He responds well and I did not have a single problem with him. It seems like he enjoys spending time with me more than being with his brothers. Well! He has to accept that I need his brothers' help on this one, too, am I right? It is my first time babysitting. I mean... gimme a break!