Chapter 23: His Concerns

LUCIFER'S POV

     It has been a week since Merielle came back here from the human world. Her first week back was quite a disorder. She got herself in a struggle just a day after she got here and fixed it before the week did end. 

     I did not intervene with anything in any of her dispositions, because I know that no matter how much I interfere or try to halt her, she would still find her way to do so. Belphegor is a big evidence of that, although she could not recollect. 

     As much as I want to spend more time with her, I have more valuable things to do that still occupy her. What occurred when we were in the human world still bothers me. Whoever that witch is might come back for her anytime soon, although I have no hint as of when.

     I have been meeting with Diavolo and Barbatos after school for quite some time now, and all we are discussing is Merielle's safety. Questions like... who is that witch? Where did she come from? What does she want? Those questions are what we are trying to solve, yet still unanswered.

     "Why don't we ask for your brothers' help?" Barbatos had asked.

     "How much of help will they be? All they care about is hanging out with Merielle whenever possible," I answered.

     "Don't you want to hang out with her as well?" Diavolo asked.

     The truth is  I want to, but if I want to feel alright whenever I am hanging out with her, I have to find out who this witch is who attacked us in the human world. If I was the one that witch was targeting, she wouldn't have flown away when I flew above the clouds to chase her and have a one on one battle with her. If it was Solomon she was targeting, she wouldn't have attacked Mammon where he happens to be holding Merielle, and if she was targeting Mammon (which at first thought would be possible considering he might have a debt with her), she wouldn't have gone to those lengths and just talked to me like the others Mammon had a debt to would. Seriously, the avatar of greed is the one who is always broke. Because of his title, anyone would have thought he is the one who has the most riches of all of us. Maybe he would have had if only he didn't spend it on gambles and buying expensive items that he mostly didn't even need.

     I am walking in the streets of Devildom as the thoughts of what might happen to Merielle at anytime that witch is still roaming freely floods my head. It is enough to give me headaches. It is very troublesome. The only plan my brothers and I had was to ask Solomon for help and Diavolo for permission to talk to Merielle again and help her remember all of us. All of us had been too close to Merielle that we couldn't bear any longer, knowing that a year would go by and Merielle still has no ideas who we are because of the amnesia of hers.

     "Tch!" I muttered as some random, careless demon ran and accidentally bumped into me.

     I turned around to just take a look at that demon, but he is nowhere to be found and had been deep in the crowd. I just nodded ahead and moved on.

     "Oh! Welcome back, Lucifer!" Merielle greeted as I turned my head to the right as I entered the House of Lamentation. She is wearing a big, bright smile on her beautiful, warm, and innocent face.

     I had been so busy and stressed the whole day that I barely kept my head above water. I walked the streets of Devildom on the way back here in a daze and with a frown on my face, but just seeing her... hearing her sweet voice... it is like she calmed down a raging storm inside me. I can't help mustering out a smile back at her as soon as I saw and heard her. There is only one problem though...

     "Merielle," I said as my smile dissolved to a questioning frown. "There are a lot of rooms here in the House of Lamentation to listen to music through your headphones. Why would you choose the stairs here in the entrance hall?"