Chapter 9: The House of Lamentation

MERIELLE'S POV

     Mammon, Lucifer, and I finally reached a huge mansion. The mansion looks dark and fog is at its grounds. A dead tree stood nearby and the moon is so big, it looks like it is floating beside the mansion.

     "WELCOME BACK TO THE HOUSE OF LAMENTATION!" Mammon announced, mostly to me.

     "Tch. Don't be too loud, Mammon," Lucifer said.

     I looked at the House of Lamentation and studied its features. Have I really lived here before? This place looks like a haunted mansion. Back in the human world in my country, I never dare to enter a haunted house or a haunted game even though I knew that the creepy creatures there are just normal people in costumes as if the day was Halloween.

     "You look pale, Merielle," Lucifer said. He is not in his demon form anymore. He changed to his casual look and his horns and wings seem hidden. He looks like a normal human like that! "Everything all right?"

     I just nodded while still looking at the mansion. Then, I looked at Lucifer who is smiling at me.

     "I can tell if someone is lying, Merielle," he said, still wearing that smile.

     "Aaahh! Merielle will be fine, Lucifer!" Mammon said. He is not in his demon form anymore. He is wearing casual clothes now. He looks like a normal human with his wings and horns out. I wish I had his confidence. We had just been targetted by a witch in mid-air and almost got us killed and he can still say that I will be fine? *sarcastic tone* Sure, Mammon. I will be fine. "Besides, THE GREAT MAMMON IS HERE!" Mammon finished and he opened the gates to the House of Lamentation.

     "MERIELLE, MY SWEET LITTLE KITTEN!!!" someone shouted happily as he ran towards me and hugged me so tight and continuously rubs his cheeks on mine. "You are finally here! I am so happy! I planned so many things for us to do... naughty things included."

     "G'AAHH! ASMO! HOW DARE YOU! YOU ARE TOO CLOSE TO MERIELLE! GO AWAY! SHOO! SHOO!" Mammon said and pulled him away.

     I giggled as I straighten up my clothes and I looked at the one who hugged me. My eyes widened as I realize who it is. He is someone I read from the leather notebook!

     "You... you are Asmodeus! The avatar of lust and is the fifth-born demon!" I said happily, but also nervous that I might have said something wrong in that sentence. 

     Asmodeus smiled, his smile is the kind of smile that even his eyes seem to disappear or smile on its own in matching to his charming smile. "Mhmm. That's me! Oh, I am delighted that you still know who I am. Then again, how could anyone possibly forget me?"

     "Uhhh... actually... actually I-" I said mid-sentence and I am cut-off.

     "How about me? Do you still know who I am? Come on, Merielle. You told me that I was your best friend! You didn't forget me did you?" another boy came forward. I looked straight into his earnest eyes and I felt sorry for him and for myself. He might be my best friend, but I don't really remember how and why we became best friends.

     "Well... you are Leviathan. The avatar of envy and the third-born demon," I said.

     He looked relieved that I said it correctly, but I still have to tell them how I got it correctly. The problem is, I can't. Almost all of them are hogging around me already. Satan who is the avatar of wrath and the fourth-born demon, Beelzebub, the avatar of gluttony and the sixth-born demon, and his unidentical twin, Belphegor, the avatar of sloth and the seventh-born demon. Of course, Asmodeus and Leviathan went near, too. I could hear Mammon telling all of them to back-off, but they never seemed to listen. I took a step back, then another, and another.