Chapter 37: Cook-Off

MERIELLE'S POV

     After apologizing to Levi, I headed towards the kitchen with Beel. Turns out, I promised him yesterday that we will have a little cook-off.

     The thing goes like this: I will cook something for Beel and he will cook something for me. Then, we will eat what the other made! This is a good way for me to test my cooking skills, so I agreed!

     Also, who wouldn't want to cook for Beel?

     "Ready?" I asked Beel.

     "Yep!" Beel said.

     Both of us immediately set off to cooking. I don't know what he is making, but I definitely know what I am going to make.

     I am going to make one of my favorite desserts!

     Twenty minutes later, as I took a look at my no-bake yema cake, I decided to take a glance at Beel. He seems to be in a pickle.

     "How are you doing, Beel?" I asked as I placed down the spoon.

     "Not going well," Beel replied with a sad face.

     I stepped closer to Beel and tried checking out what he is making. All I see is thick, black, bubbling, hot water.

     "Erm... is that supposed to be a soup, Beel?" I asked, trying to sound as polite as possible. The last thing I need is to offend him and make him even more upset than he already is.

     "That is supposed to be a sweetened black belly newt soup," Beel said.

     Well, at least I am half correct.

     "Is it really supposed to look like that?" I asked cautiously.

     Beel shook his head. "No."

     Thank goodness. Judging by the outcomes of what he made, it seems like I will get a stomach ache when I even take a taste.

     "Now I have nothing to exchange with you," Beel sulked.

     I paused, thinking for a while.

     "Wait, Beel!" I suddenly exclaimed, startling him for a bit. "Didn't you cook rice just now?"

     "Yes," Beel said.

     "Why don't you make it into onigiri? You once told me that you know how to make onigiri," I said happily.

     As soon as the rice was ready, Beel happily did just that.

     Beel was half-way finished with his onigiri-making when I already finished putting the final touches on my no-bake yema cake.

     "That smells delicious," Beel complimented.

     I smiled. "Thanks. I learned how to do it back when I was in the human world."

     "I am so excited to take a taste!" Beel said as he shaped the onigiris into triangles a bit faster.

     I smiled as I approached him.

     "Let me help you with that. More hands, the faster the job gets done!" I said.

     "Alright," Beel said. "But do be careful. It is hot."

     But Beel warned me too late. I already touched the hot rice and burned my skin for a slight moment.

     "Ouch!" I exclaimed as I returned the ball of rice back into the pot.

     Beel took a look at my hand and gave me a worried look.

     "Come on," he said as he held my hand and walked over to the water faucet to which I obediently followed. He turned on the tap and let the running waterfall on my hand. It starts to feel better after a minute. "How is it now?" Beel asked, full of concern in his voice.

     "Better," I said.

     Beel turned off the water faucet and dried my hand, full of care, with a soft towel.

     I blushed as Beel placed a small kiss on my hand to where I was burned. Then, he hugged me as he whispered, "Let me do the onigiris, okay? I don't want you getting hurt again."

     I tried to mutter out something. Anything.

     Alas.

     The words were stuck in my throat and I couldn't get them out. When Beel looked down on me with a concerned look, I just gave him a slight and a slight nod.

     I am so sure that he could see me blushing right now.

     With a contented smile, Beel let go of me and continued making his onigiri.

     "I'll make this extra special for you. So special that you would forget the pain in your hands," Beel said as he worked on his onigiri.

     "Th-thanks," I said. At least something came out of my mouth now.

     Twenty minutes later, Beel and I dined in the food we made. We shared the onigiris and the pieces of the cake that I made.

     Beel could only think about the food that he is constantly eating. While my mind is divided into two thoughts. One is how good Beel is at making onigiris, and one is the kiss, hug, and caring words he just gave me earlier that all made me blush. I don't think I have ever blushed so many times in one day before!