Chapter 32: Before the Search Began

MERIELLE'S POV

     After I composed myself I walked towards the library and expected Mammon to be there already, only to find the room empty.

     "Here to read?" a familiar voice called out.

     Make that ALMOST empty.

     It shouldn't be surprising, though, to find the House of Lamentation's demon bookworm to be here, reading yet another book. Probably another one with the mystery genre.

     "No, not really," I told Satan. "More like, research."

     Satan closed his book and looked at me. "How can I help?" He asked in the most gentle manner. Is this really the avatar of wrath? He sure knows how to compose himself while making himself look ten times more charming.

     I turned away from his look and walked over to the bookshelves with a thought, "I need serious help."

     First, thinking Mammon was hot. Second, thinking Satan is more charming than usual. Can anybody please tell me what is up with me today?! If I am feeling weird around those two right now, I am scared to know about how will I feel and think around the rest of the demon brothers. Actually, I might not want to know!

     "Any problem?"

     I gasped as I turned around to find Satan so close behind me! Apparently, he walked towards me while I was looking the other way and did not notice him! Our faces are literally only two inches away!

     "I... I uhm..." 

     "Are you having a fever or something?" Satan asked as he placed his palm on my forehead to check my temperature. 

     "N-no!" I sputtered.

     "You're just too close," someone said from the door. "She's just too kind to say, and I am now letting 'ya know on her behalf."

     "Mammon," I muttered.

     "Ah, it seems like the scumbag is here," Satan said and backed off a few inches away.

     "Tch. Stop calling me that!" Mammon shouted, annoyed. "What are you doing here, anyway?"

     "I mostly spend my time here to read. It is a library, after all," Satan answered as if it should be obvious to his brother.

     "Your room looks like a library already, 'ya know. Just coop up in there!" Mammon demanded.

     Satan sighed. "Reading in different places makes is like a new discovery," he paused then looked at me with such warm, green eyes. "While having Merielle around makes me more at ease than normal." He continued.

     I gasped and I heard Mammon muttering something, although I couldn't make it out for what it is. All I could hear, though, is the beat of my heart that is currently beating faster than it should be while Satan is staring at me with meaningful eyes and a handsome grin.

     Just then, I felt Mammon's warm hand as he pulled me away from Satan as he said, "Let's leave him be. Let's just start searching."

     "O-okay," are the words that I just managed to let out.

     Mammon is still wearing a hat to cover his bunny ears. His brown and while aviator jacket that he usually wears on him is now taken off and the sleeves are tied around him to make a cover for his bunny tail. I took a peek at Mammon while pretending to search thoroughly among the books and that's when I saw his new get up. Somehow, I also managed to sense that something was troubling him and I think that it is more than just his bunny situation.

     "What's with your new look, Mammon? Expanding your looks?" Satan teased.

     "Shut up! This is none of your business!" Mammon barked.

     "If you say so," Satan said and returned to reading his book.

     I went closer to Mammon and whispered, "Don't you think that we should just tell him already? They would eventually know, after all. He might even help to look for a spell to undo the curse. He might even know it already!"

     Both of us turned to Satan. He is still reading his book. He must have sensed that someone was looking at him and he looked up.

     "What?" he asked.